UV Sterilizers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Since my very unpleasant experience with Ich a couple of months ago, I am thinking of adding a UV sterilizer to my tank. There are some small hang on back models that seem like they would do what I want. I am unsure about how to use them. Do they have to be hooked up to a filter or do they work independently? Some that I have looked at are called in line units and some are not. Also, one of the reviews mentioned hooking it up to a canister filter. Is that really necessary, or will the unit function on its own?
Thanks for your help.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
Most UV sterilizers that I know of don't have a pump so you need some way to get water through it. Either attaching it the return pump for a sump or canister. The HOB types or the types that you can just put inside the tank require a powerhead to function, though for a small tank that doesn't have a canister it seems like that is the best solution.

The math that I have written down, though its been a while and don't remember who gave it to me. You might want to verify it:
Tank Capacity / 1.2 = Max flow rate
Tank Capacity / 2 = Min flow rate
Tank Capacity / 9 = Watts

so for my 125g tank there is roughly 115 gallons actually in the system. About 100g in the tank and 15g in the 30g sump.
115g / 1.2 = 96gph
115g / 2 = 58gph
115g / 9 = 13 watts

That would kill algae and most everything else in the water. Anything less will only kill algae. So I've been looking for one myself in the 15-18w range.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Aqueon makes a hang on unit that is available in both a 9 and 18 watt version. It has it's own integrated pump. Simply put it on the tank and plug the pump and UV lamp in and it's good to go.

I have an 18 watt and I love it and a very well respected fish importer I know uses them when quarantining new arrivals as they are quick to setup and easy to move from tank to tank.

Andy

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Thanks Andy. That sounds really interesting. I am not a really clever sort when it comes to mechanics, so this may be the way to go. I will look into it.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
Aqueon makes a hang on unit that is available in both a 9 and 18 watt version. It has it's own integrated pump. Simply put it on the tank and plug the pump and UV lamp in and it's good to go.

I have an 18 watt and I love it and a very well respected fish importer I know uses them when quarantining new arrivals as they are quick to setup and easy to move from tank to tank.

Andy
Those look cool. Not much more expensive and considering you wouldn't have to buy a powerhead with it as well, probably save money overall.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Those look cool. Not much more expensive and considering you wouldn't have to buy a powerhead with it as well, probably save money overall.
If you already got a canister saving money with an inline would work.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Yep. If you already have a canister filter then installing an inline sterilizer like the Coralife Turbotwist would be less expensive. But if you don't have one, then the Aqueon is going to be less expensive than buying a UV, pump and tubing. And you don't have to assemble and setup the contraption on the back of your tank.

Reactions: Duckie

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I do have a canister filter. It's the fluval 406, but I have no idea how to hook up a uv light to it.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
You would need to replace the Fluval corrugated tubing with vinyl tubing (I think it is 3/4" with the 406 but not positive) on the outlet hose. Then you would simply run the tubing from the canister to the UV and then another section of tubing from the UV back up to the normal canister filter return.

If you mount the UV vertically (most have brackets that can screw to the wall of a stand) the inlet to the UV is at the bottom and the outlet at the top.

If you mount the UV horizontally both inlet and outlet should face up and it doesn't matter which one is the inlet or outlet.

This is to ensure that the UV chamber remains full of water all the time.

Andy

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Thanks Andy. Just to be sure I understand this correctly, by outlet hose you mean the water coming back to the tank from the filter, correct? Now here is where I am confused. Isn't the canister filter return, also the water coming back to the tank from the filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store