Swapping to a bigger tank for the first time help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Registered Member
Jun 22, 2016
Hi, I've not kept fish before this one. I inherited a goldfish in a 75 litre tank. He's happy in there and I do water changes and the little stick tests once per week.

I have a new 100 litre tank coming for him tomorrow, and I'm wondering if I can use his current tank water and filter in the new tank, and top it up with room temp dechlorinated tap water so I don't have to do the cycling with all the chemicals and stuff?

Like, put him with some of his own water in the bucket, then move all his stones/plants/decorations/air stone to the new tank, and pour all his old water in too, then put in his old filter, the tap water, and let him back in?

Then all the ammonia cycling bacteria would still be there, right? Or am I being dumb and missing something?

Thanks for any help!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The old filter has a lot of the good bacteria, so yes, move it over. No benefit using any old water.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Agreed, just use the old filter and decorations and fill the new tank with fresh water. However, if your current water has high nitrate levels you may want to add some into the new tank to prevent shocking the fish by going from high nitrates to zero nitrates.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Moving water over will be based on your current water change schedule,

if you do frequent large water changes, you should be fine to not move any water. if there's any doubt, there's no real problem moving old water in it's entirety but you won't really gain any bacteria in doing so.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Stick old filter on new tank without changing things or letting it dry out. Same with decorations, etc. If they dry out your bacteria dies, and it was all for nothing. Also, up the filtration a bit by adding another filter, as your tank is 25l larger than the old one :)

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
As per above, I would clean out the new tank well first, set it up, let it run, with any move you want to chevk for leaks first, if your filter is not string enough for a larger tank, get another. I am a fan of extra fiktration.
if adding another filter you have a couple options, you can run it on the okd tank for 2 weeks or but some cycling bacteria for the new setup.
API liquid test kit is better.
Keep in mind you might experience mini cycle with your new setup, even if you move things over, which is ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store