Stocking a 29 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gemobl

Registered Member
Jul 26, 2016
Hi! I have a pretty new 29 gallon tropical community tank that currently has 3 black neon tetras, 3 australian rainbow fish, and one flame dwarf gourami. Everyone seems happy and is getting along well, and the water was just tested today and came back perfect. I would like some corys and maybe some rasboras, but I'm really worried about overcrowding. So I guess the short version of my question is this: How much is too much in a 29 gallon tank?

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Well, what I've been told is that it is 1 per one inch of body space. You could buy maybe 4-6 more smallish fish IMO.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
That 1" per gallon is a myth, and should be forgotten.
I think you have room for either corys or Rasboras, but not both. Both species like to be in a group, so you will need to get about 6. I would also up the Black Neons to 6 also.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I agree with tanker on this one as well. More black neons for sure.

If it were me I would go with the cories. They will give you some activity in the bottom/middle versus more schooling fish that will be at the middle/top

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Are you testing your own water, or are you having it done by someone who would like to sell you fish?

Knowing the values, especially the nitrates, will let you know the bioload of the tank, that will have a bearing on your stocking levels too.

Gemobl

Registered Member
Jul 26, 2016
Awesome, Thanks! And the first time I had it done but now I'm testing it myself. I definitely want more black neons, and I think I'll get some cores as well, they're adorable!

Sprinklefins

AC Members
Aug 2, 2016
Yes I agree, definitely a myth! It depends on a few things actually, and one of which is your filtration and how many gallons per hour it runs

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Another myth that needs to be forgotten is "it will only grow as big as its bowl/tank/environment." I've had people quote that one in regards to boas and pythons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store