Starting a 75 gallon planted aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sudzzy

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2021
So I recently decided to start a freshwater aquarium. I used to have a 125 gallon reef tank that my friend gave me when he moved but it's been a long time and I just used what he had set up. I've been buying equipment to set up my new tank and decided I really want to do a planted tank. I would really like to get my moss and other plants flourishing quickly so that I can have a nice carpet and some anubias, ferns etc so that when I do start to add fish they will have plenty of atmosphere and places to hide plus the oxygen and other benefits plants provide. That all being said I have two main questions. The first is related to substrate. I have read so many different things but I'm leaning towards a live substrate like caribseas eco complete planted substrate. Will using a live substrate be too difficult for a new hobbyist? Is using an inert substrate and root tabs better for plants or just safer for someone new to planted tanks? Secondly, can I add plants to my tank while it is cycling to give them an extra boost in initial growth and get them started for however long I am waiting for the nitrogen cycle to run its course? Thank you so much for your help!!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
An inert substrate with root tabs is easier for a beginner for sure. One commonly made mistake is to get the substrate either too fine or too coarse. A grain size of around 2mm is best. You can add plants from the beginning.

Arthur11

AC Members
Jul 13, 2021
There are plants that you can buy in stores and be put into a fish tank. There are some issues, however. Plants may contain snail eggs or other harmful organisms that may disturb the equilibrium of your aquarium. To prevent this, you might consider buying some seeds instead and grow plants that you are going to put in your fish tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another vote for not using seeds... For common plants it is not financially feasible to get and collect seeds.. not impossible, but unless you have really specialized needs, it will be incredibly expensive.

Go with emersed/hydroponic plants, or tissue culture/in vitro plants.

Neither have aquatic pests and are far more feasible to work with.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of critters do you intend to keep in this planted 75? Some need sand/softer/finer stuff. Some do best with it, some make a mess with it and for most... It doesn't matter..

What type of filtration do you plant to use?

Do you have specific plants that are a must have?

What type of lighting are you going to use?

It's a lot of questions, but you're doing the right thing by planning before throwing a setup together.

I'm for a 'dead' substrate and add what's needed when it's needed. Dirt and specialized fortified substrates don't hang on to their 'giving' properties forever.

I prefer very fine grained gravel.

I'm sure you know this, but you have to be very patient starting a brand-new setup with plants. It's going to be a slow going process. It's slow enough placing a new plant into an established tank. New plants in a new tank can be double slow. LOL.

.....And I just realized this is a 7 month old thread with the OP being a 1 post wonder.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store