skimmer and gen. info for clam tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
i'm setting up a clam tank that is going to be a 50g (36x18x19) with a 29g as a sump. the lighting is going to be 2 175W 10000k Metal Halide pendants, with another light to simulate day and night (65W Power compact). i'm still undecided on the skimmer and i am wondering what you would reccommend.

the tank will have around 30lbs of aquacultured carribean liverock and a DSB. probably final stocking will be around 5 clams and some species of LPS and softies. i'm trying to keep the fish level low. maybe a six line wrasse, algae blenny, and a pair of the smaller clown species. i'm going to let the tank mature for approx. 6 months before adding any livestock other then a clean up crew.

is there anything that i am really missing here? thanks for the help everyone.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
I wouldn't use a skimmer at all. Clam tanks need to be a little messy as clams need nitrate to grow. Ideally, you want nitrate somewhere between 2-8 ppm - not crazy high, but definitely registerable. (Giant clams are grown in big, commercial vats in Asia, and the farmers pee into them to provide this source of nitrogenous waste that is utilized so quickly by so many clams.)

I would recommend that you pass on soft corals as you might run into some competition. Some, like xenia, compete for trace levels of nitrate for themselves. Most will release defensive chemicals that will stunt the growth of other corals, especially in the absence of a skimmer that would pull some of them out otherwise.

Oh, and consider moving up to 250W units if you don't already have the equipment. The high-end maxima & crocea clams will appreciate the extra wattage. If the tank isn't set up yet and your home/spouse/kids/pets permit it, mount the tank low so that you can look down and into the water. The chloroplasts of the clam that give it its vibrant color are situated most intensely in vertical alignment so that they catch the most light. This means that most clams look much, much better when viewed from above or at least at an angle.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
yeah, i'm seriously to considering upgrading up to 250W halides. it's only 50 dollars more to upgrade the pendant and i might need those 250s when i upgrade to a bigger tank. i was planning on the pendents so that i could look down into the tank to get the best view of the clams.

being tall has it's advantages so i can easily look down into almost every tank. but i'm doing a DIY stand so that i can save some money on this thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store