Rili Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hi, I am starting a Nano tank. It will be planted, filtered, and heated. I thought some shrimp would be a nice addition. What do you think about Rili shrimp? Are they mass-breeders? The tank size is half-gallon. If so, how many can I keep in there?

Thank you!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've never heard of them so I looked them up and most sites say they are essentially the same as cherry shrimp. So, yes they will breed like crazy. Upon further investigation they actually are the exact same species Neocardinia davidi. Just a different variation. So, from experience in a tank your size I wouldn't put more than two shrimp. You will have plenty shortly and will need to have a plan to thin the tank. Also, if you want to do shrimp, definitely don't heat it. They actually prefer the water around 68 or so and a heater in that size will spike the temp.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hmm...thanks for your input. Will they still survive in a heated tank? I do heat the nano when the thermometer is below the safe zone, but usually during the summer I don't heat it at all.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Be sure to use a heater with a thermostat rather than a preset one, and follow the directions about placement/orientation.

and monitor the temperature of the water, just in case.

A heater should only raise the temperature to a certain temperature, just set it low enough. If it's too hot, the heater shouldn't even come on.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
From experience with small tanks you're better off not heating cuz you're likely to cook your critters with most of the heaters that are small enough for those tanks. Typically you can only find preset ones and then when you add a light. . . boiled shrimp

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I have accidentally cooked a critter once:( I do monitor the temperature, and the heater I have, is unfortunately, super basic. All it does is add 5 degrees. No low setting. No thermostat.:(:(:(It's the only small heater I can find:(:(:( Know of any small heaters with thermostats or settings?

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Without? Um, 20 degrees C, I think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store