Qt question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I get all of my tetras and schooling fish form petco because my LFS does not carry tetras and fish in that area. Every time I get fish from there I almost always get ich, and it is rare for me not to get ich when I buy fish from petco. My question is when I get the fish from petco, should I just treat them form ich even if they don't show sighs of ich? If they don't have ich and I treat them for it could it hurt them?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I personally would not medicate unless there's a definite reason to, but by treat them, if you're referring to just cranking the heat up to the mid/high 80's for a period of time to speed the life cycle of parasites like ich along, maybe that's not a bad idea.

I hear you though. The only fish I've had decent success with from Petsmart or Petco were various corys. They must be tough little buggers.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I should have specified, I meant to use some ich remedy. I have never had anything other then ich so I would just treat for ich.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
High temp and salt is the only thing I would recommend for ICH.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Thanks tanker but that does not really answer my question. I am asking if it is ok to treat my fish for ich even if they don't show signs for ich.

downloader

AC Members
Oct 29, 2001
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
start by getting your fish elsewhere! you might have top travel a bit more but is it worth risking all the fish in your tank getting sick? Do you have a hospital tank? or are you treating your main tank?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I am not trying to be rude when I say this, but do yall even read the name of the thread and what I wrote? I said QT question which implies that I am using a qt tank.
So I will ask it again, is it ok to treat for ich even if they don't show signs yet?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I wouldnt personally. Since they are in qt already, turn up the heat and watch for signs of disease to appear...then treat if necessary.

Reactions: sumthin fishy

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too agree with Slappy, I would not treat unless I see ICH. Puts fish through too much stress. Heat does not effect the fish as much as meds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store