Oscar health help - urgent!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hi guys - I need advice...

My Oscar is about a year old and has been going strong. Yesterday I came home for lunch and I noticed him acting shy, and hiding and sort of laying slightly on his side and also breathing a little harder than normal as though he was stressed with his mouth agape slightly.

He was fine the night before and has been eating well. This is also normally a very outgoing fish that I can feed out of my hand. He'll even jump out of the water to snag small shrimp from my finger tips. So I can tell something is off.

Anyhow, I immediately began siphoning water out to do a water change and while I did that I tested the water's parameters.

Tank is 130 gallon: Water was at .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite ph 6.0-6.5 range, I didn't check nitrates because I know I don't have much built up if any as I stay on top of regular water changes. Also, the ammonia, is most likely free ammonia or false positive because my water system adds chloramines to the water and I use Prime to detoxify.

Anyhow, the other fish in the tank were completely fine and I've had no recent losses.

I refilled the tank with cooler water to increase dissolved O2 content and I also run a bubble disk and 2 small sponge filters in each corner of the tank to go along with a Fluval FX6 canister. So there is plenty of aeration. I typically keep the tank at about 81 degrees or so. With the water change it came down to 79 degrees F.

After the water change my Oscar came out and was breathing better. He seemed alert. I even did a light feeding to satisfy my own curiosity to see if he showed interest in food. He did eat and went after a few gulps of food with vigor, but didn't eat as much as he typically would.

After that I went back to work. I came home that night and it was a repeat of the afternoon. He was hiding, laying somewhat sideways and not acting normal.

I did another water change of about 40%. I noticed he then came out and swam around a little bit, sometimes stopping and looking downward and at an angle. He just seems very sluggish.

I woke this morning to find the same problem. Hiding in a corner, laying somewhat on his side and out of sight.
I came to the tank and he did come out for a bit and seemed fairly alert but very very very sluggish. About 6 weeks ago, I placed a smaller younger wild Oscar in the tank with him who I had in a separate tank for 3 months prior and is very healthy. The two are inseparable. No aggression of any sort. I actually think one is male and the other female. The smaller Oscar is even seemingly trying to comfort the larger one and remains close by.

So, I'm also wondering if perhaps the larger one is a female and carrying eggs or is backed up in some way? I don't know what to think.

This morning I did another light feeding. While the bigger Oscar came out he/she did not feed. He then returned to his new hiding corner. I then walked over to the tank and looked at him and he swam up a bit and looked at me. I noticed somewhat heavy breathing though and the mouth a bit agape again.

I'm really confused and concerned. I moved about 6 weeks ago to a new place and had to move the tank, but everyone has been fine and he was totally fine until yesterday, feeding vigorously etc. I typically do 1-3 water changes a week and have an established media bed so I'm not sure what could be happening.

To make matters worse, I'm going out of town on vacation for the coming weekend and I don't know what to do. Do I isolate him in a separate tank while I'm gone? I'm even considering packing him up and bring a 20 gallon along for the trip and setting him up in my hotel room with me so I can keep an eye on him but I'm scared that the 2-3 hour drive, new tank, and move back and forth will just stress him out and only bring harm.

Any ideas what may be going on and/or what I should do about the weekend? Bring him, leave him, set up a separate tank?.... In the meantime, what can I do for him and what could be wrong?

Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a nice setup. I'm an oscar keeper as well. Did you get a read on nitrates just for the heck of it? I would. Do you feed any live foods? There's always a risk associated with that. Even after a proper QT period, that new little O could have introduced something to the older oscar that he's never been in contact with before. I'd keep an eye on his poop and eating habits. Are his fins clamped?

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Sounds like a nice setup. I'm an oscar keeper as well. Did you get a read on nitrates just for the heck of it? I would. Do you feed any live foods? There's always a risk associated with that. Even after a proper QT period, that new little O could have introduced something to the older oscar that he's never been in contact with before. I'd keep an eye on his poop and eating habits. Are his fins clamped?

Hi Freshy, thanks for the response. I didn't have time to check for Nitrates (that test takes a few minutes more of shaking the mixture bottles etc) but I will tonight for the heck of it just in case.

I've never fed any live feeder fish because I'm cautious about the nasty stuff that they can carry. I feed my guys a mix of Angels Plus mixed Cichlid Pellets, Hikari and Spectrum New Life pellets of various sizes.

All poops (lol just typing that) have been solid and healthy. No white stringy movements or anything like that.

I just went home real quick on lunch break to check, where I found him again hiding in the corner. I had left the tank lights off to reduce stress as well and just let the sunlight and living room light illuminate the tank. I then decided to add a little aquarium salt to some tank water thinking that the electrolytes might make breathing easier and reduce some stress, from whatever he is going through. When I came over and began siphoning a little water into a bucket to mix up the solution, he did perk up and swam out into the middle of the tank with the other fish. I tried another light feeding but he won't eat now.

To me, it almost appears as though he's uncomfortable. Like he swallowed too much food and its cramping him. The best way I can describe his behavior is like someone who's hung over or just had a huge thanksgiving meal and just wants to lay down on the couch.

Fortunately his fins are NOT clamped which is definitely a good sign.

Thinking on this more, when I was really trying to get him to put on size, I'd hand feed him little red shrimp one at a time until he told me he was full (naturally this took a while haha) but sometimes, after that, he'd become lethargic for a bit. It seems like he's acting like that except for an extended period of time.

So I'm wondering, is it possible that he over ate (he usually does go gulping the largest pellets down quickly) over the past few days, and became cramped/uncomfortable and then stuffed more into his gullet yesterday, because he did gulp down a large pellet then as well even after this behavior began, and now today is still lethargic from it all and won't eat because he's backed up or something? Could he have a pellet stuck between the back of his throat and stomach? Is that even possible I wonder? I could take him out and look down his mouth by lipping him like a Bass but I really don't want to stress him if possible. Thoughts?

Are any of these ideas possible with an O? I feel like I've heard of things like this but I can't recall. I'm a newer O owner as he's my first Oscar ever and he's now just hitting that solid 7 inch size or so with great girth. Very healthy fish until this episode.

Any other ideas based on the new info here? If he is simply over full is there anything I can do to help him? I've heard of feeding blanched peas for constipated fish or swim bladder issues, but I suspect he would spit those out/or won't eat those either now and he does not appear bloated otherwise and is swimming normally when he decides to leave his resting place.

Also, with what I've described above, is it normal for an O to lay in a hiding spot slightly on its side? Not like a Clown Loach mind you, just tilted.

Appreciate all the help/experience you can share!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If he's eating and pooping normally, with no clamped fins and the water parameters are good and what he's used to... This is a really tough one. I know oscars can be drama queens and pout for days if they don't like a tank re-do, decor change or new addition to the tank. Dunno man. Just throwing that out there.

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
If he's eating and pooping normally, with no clamped fins and the water parameters are good and what he's used to... This is a really tough one. I know oscars can be drama queens and pout for days if they don't like a tank re-do, decor change or new addition to the tank. Dunno man. Just throwing that out there.
Yeah, I've heard they can be drama queens too and pout. When I bought the new little O he was pouting like a baby in the pet store. When I got him home in QT he was a totally different fish - happy as could be.
I haven't witnessed the big guy poop since this all started but typically its always normal and the other fish in the tank are pooping fine so I don't think there's anything parasitic going on. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it for now.

Do you think it would be ridiculous to pack up a 20 gallon tank, throw a sponge filter in it and take him on vacation with me? The drive is two hours, then he could sit in the hotel room in a tank on the floor. Or is this not sensible/will stress the fish out too much? Or maybe put him in his own Q tank while I'm away?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I definitely would not take your fish on vacation with you. If you're going to be gone no more than a week, I'd do a water change just before you leave and don't feed them until you get back, unless you've got someone you can trust to do a few feedings for you.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
The oscar at my LFS ate a MASSIVE dubia roach and did this for three days while digesting it. He rolled around the sides of the tank going "ugggggggggghhhhhhh....kill me.....", then one day he was fine and rehomed. If the poops and eating are good it could be undigested material in the intestines or lower part of the stomach. Oscars get fat mentality and over eat to the point of literally losing buoyancy sometimes. Keep us updated, I'd go check on your friend if I lived closer LMB.

EDIT: the oscar at my lfs had hole-in-head and all sorts of nasty stuff, too. He is thriving now though.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I had a customer a while back that had an O doing something similar, laying on its side, heavy breathing all that jazz. We checked her water multiple times, had her doing daily water changes and cut out all feeding. After about four days it pooped out part of a plastic plant and then it was back to normal. My guess is that it over ate, or ate something it shouldn't have and is digesting. I'd keep an eye on it and not feed it for a few days, and see what happens.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
That ,25 ammonia still bothers me. Is your BIO system not able to convert the "Free ammonium" to Nitrate? Still think it is the water.

I think your BIO system got compromised.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Sounds pretty high....you might have a water quality issue. Don't know how i missed that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store