New odd coloring on 2 electric blue Jack Dempseys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Recently I noticed this red coloring on the tips of 2 of my fish’s dorsal fins. They’re in different tanks and eat different food. My third fish doesn’t any changes. I took a photo of my tiny female fish Eleanor in lighting that shows the discoloration. My adult male won’t let me get a good photo of his fin. We have well water but this change only started about a week ago. I’m attaching a photo of my tiny female Eleanor. Any ideas how this happened?

9BE12973-CC10-484F-82AD-BBDFA01BDB1A.jpeg

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
F
Recently I noticed this red coloring on the tips of 2 of my fish’s dorsal fins. They’re in different tanks and eat different food. My third fish doesn’t any changes. I took a photo of my tiny female fish Eleanor in lighting that shows the discoloration. My adult male won’t let me get a good photo of his fin. We have well water but this change only started about a week ago. I’m attaching a photo of my tiny female Eleanor. Any ideas how this happened?

View attachment 231429
in got a close up picture of my male’s fin.

FEA23DFC-8103-40D5-BE56-359523A899AF.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Red tips on dorsal fins are normal for Dempseys. I don't remember if females get that too...maybe Eleanor will turn out to be a young small male? "she" may be too small to tell yet...hard to say...

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Red tips on dorsal fins are normal for Dempseys. I don't remember if females get that too...maybe Eleanor will turn out to be a young small male? "she" may be too small to tell yet...hard to say...
Thanks for the info. I know that it’s too early to really tell the sex of Eleanor. If she turns out to be a boy I’ll just use the name Lenny

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I just came back from the aquarium where they had some really large electric blues and they ALL had red tipped dorsal fins! I feel so much better now!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, the larger fish are likely males so I'm not sure that red tipped dorsals means much as to sexing them. I did a quick google & didn't see any I'd call postitve females with red tips. Could be...I didn't look very hard...& google pics, meh. Males get to be almost twice as big as females. The male fry grow larger faster in a group than females so there will likely be more males...with the survival of the biggest thing happening...

Relax & enjoy your Dempseys. They'll sort it all out sooner or later. You really don't want more than a M & F pair...they can breed like rabbits or worse! That sounds fun but isn't really...they can breed every month or more...eventually 50-100 fry each time. We had trouble selling or even giving away several cichlid species...Be careful what you wish for!! I'm serious!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store