New Betta tank, seeking advise: water OK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hello,
New to the community. Just got my first Betta. Seeking confirmation of my tank set-up:
Tank: 3 gallon Spec III, filter, 10W heater
Planted
One male Betta (Moby2)
3 small snails

Water info:
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
GH: 25
KH: 0
PH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 78 F

Weekly one gallon water changes

Is this OK?

Thank you,
Randy
upload_2016-5-21_11-33-6.png

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Very nice looking betta. That all sounds good to me. As far as water conditions go, common fish like betta are pretty tolerant, since most are captive bred. Is the tank cycled? (If not/not sure read this thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/) I would tend to use more than 3 gallons for a betta, but thats just me. It's really no big deal. Also, those little snails you have. Did you buy them on purpose? If not, they probably came in on the plants and may reproduce excessively/otherwise be annoying.

Brian

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi
Very nice looking betta. That all sounds good to me. As far as water conditions go, common fish like betta are pretty tolerant, since most are captive bred. Is the tank cycled? (If not/not sure read this thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/) I would tend to use more than 3 gallons for a betta, but thats just me. It's really no big deal. Also, those little snails you have. Did you buy them on purpose? If not, they probably came in on the plants and may reproduce excessively/otherwise be annoying.

Brian
Brian,
Thanks for your reply and kind comments regarding Moby2's good looks!
I agree, he is a good looking Betta. I've been told by several betta owners that hus US$4.00 price was probably a mistake. More like US$15.00+.

His 3 gallon tank is small. Was in the market for a 5 gallon, but was assured by the LFS guy that if Moby2 is the only fish in the tank and I keep the water in range I would be OK.

I started cycling the tank two weeks before Moby2 moved from the tiny bowl, no filter, no heater that PetCo sold me. After reading of the danger if such a small 0.5 US gallon home with daily water changes, I moved him to the partially cycled 3 gallon. Thanks so much for the link. It was very helpful.

I purchased the 3 snails from my LFS with the 3 gallon tank, plants, substrate and heater. The guy said they would help with algae control. He cliamed they are the type of snail who won't reproduce in freshwater. I hope so.

Thanks again. This is a great forum and you are my first post responder.

Best wishes for happy, healthy fish!
Randy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi Kannan Fodder,
Thank you for your reply. I am not sure what type of snails I have. They are aobut the size of a dime and are black and yellow stripes on their shells. Is it bad to have their unhatched eggs in my tank with my Betta buddy?

Randy

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
welcome to the forum! and thank you for getting your betta into a proper tank instead of a bowl!

sounds like your snails are nerites. the nerite snail eggs will not hurt your betta at all. you can always remove them if they get to be too many. just pick them off with your fingernail. they won't hatch unless you have brackish water (it's like halfway between freshwater and saltwater to give you the cliff notes version of what brackish is).

i think you are testing your water with test strips (based on you stating gh and kh), and those are not very accurate. i'd suggest getting the API freshwater master kit. it is much better and you'll have a much more accurate look at your water parameters that way. with your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all at zero, you likely don't have a cycled tank yet, and may see an ammonia spike happen yet.

ps - Moby is beautiful!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Dear BettaFishMommy:
Thank you for your reply and your kind words about Moby2. As his Daddy, I am a bit biased. Like the Dad of an newborn who just sees his baby through the eyes of love.

The info on the snail eggs is really helpful. Thanks!

I am going to order a "real" test kit as you suggest Is this the one you have?
http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate...993&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater+master+kit.

Great community. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Glad to me a member.

Wishing you and your Betta health and happiness.
Randy

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
yes, the API freshwater master kit is what i have and it's the only kit i use and recommend to others. it's served me well over the years. be sure to follow the test instructions to a T though, to ensure you get accurate results. it's not difficult though. once you test with that kit post the results and let us know.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
That API test kit is the way to for sure. Is that an Anubias plant in the pot? It would be a lot happier attached to a rock or a piece of wood. Otherwise its a fantastic looking little set up for a betta!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
yes, the API freshwater master kit is what i have and it's the only kit i use and recommend to others. it's served me well over the years. be sure to follow the test instructions to a T though, to ensure you get accurate results. it's not difficult though. once you test with that kit post the results and let us know.
BettaFishMommy,
Thank you. I have a birthday coming up and have the test kit on my birthday wish list on Amazon.
Best wishes,
Randy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store