Mistakes made, but I thought I was finally doing everything right

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
I got into this hobby accidentally. My college-aged son took an animal behavior class at school and took his trained betta fish home with him over winter break (once the fish is trained they can't use it for another class -- he didn't know its fate if he didn't take it home). He was living on my kitchen counter in a vase until I did a little research.

So, many mistakes later, I now have a 5 gallon heated, filtered, heavily planted fish tank that is cycled. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrates are zero. The ph is 6.8. The temp is 78. I do a 25% water change weekly, first sucking up any detritus on the bottom of the tank with a turkey baster. I also remove uneaten food or dead leaves from the bottom of the tank as I see them even if it's not tank-cleaning day. I condition the water added back to the tank with Prime. I even use an instant-read thermometer to check the temp of the water before putting it back in. My fish get served a wide variety of foods on a rotating basis including high quality pellets, frozen bloodworms, dried shrimp, and regular flake food.

The current stocking of my tank reflects my inexperience and the sometimes bad advice of my local fish store. I have had too many deaths due to the store recommending fish that were not appropriate for my tank or too delicate for an inexperienced fishkeeper. (I now know to read before I buy.) Currently, there is 1 extremely peaceful betta fish, 1 pygmy corydora, 2 celestial pearl danios, and 2 zebra danios. There is also a very tiny Malaysian trumpet snail that I hope is helping to churn up the substrate.

The reason I'm posting today is that I woke up to dead zebra danio this morning. The one that died was the biggest, nippiest one -- in other words, the one I'm certain was getting his dinner. When I fed yesterday, he was zipping all around the tank. I checked my water parameters again this morning and still 0-0-0.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong if I can't keep a perfectly healthy zebra danio alive. I am so frustrated and just looking for some insight.

Reactions: wesleydnunder

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
How long have you had the dan that died? They are massively bred and it could be just bad stock. I would stay away from them for a small 5 gallon tank as they like a school and lengthy swimming space.

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
I've only had him for a couple of months. I'll try to reassure myself that it was bad stock and not me. Totally agree that this is the wrong tank for the danios (especially since it's a vertical rather than horizontal tank). Just my lack of knowledge showing through. He won't be replaced.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If those readings are from a good liquid test kit, heavily planted tank and a reasonable water change schedule for a 5 gallon tank, don't lay any blame on yourself. You have seeked help and it will be easily achieved here.

Your doing very well to get on the right track!

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
I use the API test kits. It does help to hear all that. I hated losing a fish and finding out after that something I did had actually caused it to suffer.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I've lost....well, LOTS of fish due to idiotic mistakes. Your mistakes are absolutely normal :) don't beat yourself up!

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Thank you for saying that!! It's hard to know what's normal when you're just starting out.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Rbishop = normal :D

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for saying that!! It's hard to know what's normal when you're just starting out.
You'd be surprised at what I hear on a daily basis. At least you didn't decide that cleaning the tank means removing the fish and then washing the tank with soap. (I've heard this more than once!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store