How to add Betta to community planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
Hello~

I've been wanting to add a Betta to my 20gal freshwater tank for some time now and I'm not sure sure whether to go ahead witH my plan due to how aggressive these fish are. I've heard that because they have fancy, long tails, having them in a community tank is tricky depending on the tank mates. The reason I would have to add the Betta to my community tank is because I can't get a small tank for him alone nor do I want to mistreat him in a bowl/vase.

So my question is whether my current set up is a good match for a Betta, and if so - what kind of betta. Research tells me all bettas have different personalities, so when I go to buy a Betta, what should i look for in a healthy fish?

I have 3 diamond tetras (all female), 1 chinese algae eater (juvenile - 2 inches long) and I plan on adding more fish in the future if the betta works out.

Your advice is much appreciated!!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've heard diamond tetras can be kind of nippy and if it were me I wouldn't put the betta in with them. Additionally, that Chinese algae eater will get too big for a 20 gallon tank, and is likely too aggressive even at this age for a betta.
If I were you I would forget about the betta, add three to five more diamond tetras and get rid of the algae eater. I would replace the algae eater with a small pleco species like a bristlenose, rubber lip or clown.

Is this tank a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high?

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
OK. I've thought about getting Danios. Would they be good tank mates if I forgo the Betta and the algae eater?

It's a 20gal long

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Most danios* are fine with other fish. Males might skirmish with each other but usually no harm done. The only thing to watch for is not to put them with a fish that takes their time to eat as the danios could steal their food before they get enough, and they would over eat to do so. I don't think that is a problem with your current stock though.

*I had one male danio learn that it could eat guppy fry, and it progressed from eating fry to badgering adults to death and eating on the bodies. It was alone so I don't know if having other danios would have distracted it but it became a terror to guppies. Anyway just goes to show that there are exceptions to the general rule about behavior patterns.

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
Why are LFS, even specialty stores, allowed to sell chinese algae eaters? I went in looking for a cory cat, but was told my gravel substrate might harm their delicate belly, so I was recommended the algae eater. Right now, it's not causing any trouble but i know that I have to take it back before it turns aggressive... this just baffles me.

would getting shrimp be OK instead of getting the pleco? If so, which kind and how many?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Fish stores are allowed to take your money otherwise they wouldn't be in business. That includes offering for sale many interesting fish having the potential of being aggressive, and some that are so aggressive that they must be kept alone. More legislation is not the solution. Educate yourself, and view the whole thing as something to learn from.

If I remember right there are a couple similar species called chinese algae eater, one does get aggressive with age. The other one/s doesn't generally get fish slime happy in adulthood, so it might be ok, or it might not. Up to you how you want to deal with that potential. The one I saw turn that way gave indications it was changing it's behavior so you would be able to catch it before it does damage to your other fish if you paid attention.

Your other fish might not be shrimp compatible, or they might be but will clean up when one dies on its own. Unless you see the attack don't assume the fish killed the shrimp though. Shrimp are more sensitive to any ammonia or nitrite so leave their addition to last after the tank has settled down.

The statement that sharp substrate is bad for corries is a false correlation. Poor water quality is bad for corries, irregardless of the edges of the gravel. Keep water quality high enough and corries will not have issues with even sharp gravel.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Is this Betta male or female?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It can be difficult at feeding time when you keep a male betta or groups of female bettas in with other fish in a community tank setting. The issues I've had in the past is the bettas either get nothing, or they over eat on stuff you don't really want them to eat.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hello and welcome!
From everything I've read, male Bettas are best kept separated from any other fish, especially brightly colored fish they might mistake for another male Betta. One idea might be to insert a mesh separator into your community tank to keep your Betta isolated from the other fish. But, give him at least 1/4 of your 20G tank (or about 5G) with plenty of surface area to enjoy.

Best bet...get him his own tank (5G min.) My Betta shares his tank with 6 x red cherry shrimp, 2 x Nerite snails and a bunch of real plants. He seems very happy and healthy all by himself and I would not suggest putting a male Betta with any other fish, passive or aggressive.

Glad to have you in the hobby. It's so very rewarding!
Randy/Folsom, CA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store