How long do your Ghost Shrimp live in your tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaman9001

AC Members
Aug 18, 2016
Oregon
Real Name
Nick
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy SIII, Canon Rebel XTI
Just out of curiosity and some concern, I was wondering how long other's Ghost Shrimp last in their tanks.
I've had 5 myself and after a little over a month I have only 1 left. My tank is not heavily planted yet and is only 2 months old. So I know where I can improve on the quality of my tank, I'm just curious on your experience with Ghost Shrimp and what their average lifespan is! :cool:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ghost shrimp are short lived shrimp but up to a year is certainly obtainable. But it depends on how old the shrimp actually are when you get them besides other factors. Once you tank is more mature and has more plants Amano shrimp would definitely be my suggestion! Average life span is 18 months to 3 years but I've had some live MUCH longer than that.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I could be how you acclimate to your tank. From experience, shrimp are a little more sensitive then fish.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've had ghost shrimp live ~6mo or so, being surprised by a sighting when trimming the plants in their tank. I haven't kept ghost shrimp in years now since I was introduced to red cherry shrimp. You'll have more shrimp then you want to keep if you switch to RCS.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
I think I've had some live almost 2 years, not as long as other neocaridinia shrimp I've had though (Crystal reds, Pearl Blues,etc.). But on average since they come into my LFS more as "feeders" unfortunately, they are usually very unhealthy and in jam packed conditions. Soooo, if you ghosties live past the first 2-3 weeks (which is when the sick/weak ones usually die off) I find they usually live around a year from then on, maybe longer if you got them young. Even if healthy, but you got them as an adult, 6 months or less isn't uncommon however as many have experienced.

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
Ghost shrimp are one of the hardest to acclimate it seems. It may be how they are treated by the dealer but massive losses for weeks are common. I found really hard water and lots of salt helps ghost shrimp and feeder guppies survive initially in my tanks. After the deaths stop I slowly change out the water to normal. Last time I had some ghost shrimp reproduce in my 10g for 6months before I moved everything to another tank and now I can't find them. I just bought more yesterday and haven't checked the survival rate in the 5g I setup for them but about half were carrying eggs or young.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Yea I think they do get shocked more so than most other freshwaters as well, to be on real safe side I always recommend drip acclimating inverts, it only take a little more time and one small bucket/container and air hose. Think it helps keep the weak ones from pet store from going into complete shock going into your tank, and like we said first few weeks are most critical.

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
I have 5 left out of this last dozen. They are the green egg kind instead of the clear egg kind again. It's another problem that "ghost shrimp" aren't even always the same species and sometimes feeders are actually saltwater shrimp. I always check for eggs as a sign of freshwater and some healthy individuals and the green egg bearers seem to do better. At least 3 are still carrying eggs or young under them.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Just out of curiosity and some concern, I was wondering how long other's Ghost Shrimp last in their tanks.
I've had 5 myself and after a little over a month I have only 1 left. My tank is not heavily planted yet and is only 2 months old. So I know where I can improve on the quality of my tank, I'm just curious on your experience with Ghost Shrimp and what their average lifespan is! :cool:
Bought one about 2 weeks ago. It was dead the next morning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store