Got a new tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ancientcityrrt

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
Port Richey, FL
Hi all. I just got a great deal on a 150 gallon non-drilled tank ($125 for tank and stand, and it's been holding water for 3 days now with no leaks! Woo!)) and I'm considering a FOWLR tank with possibly one or two beginner corals. I've had marine fish only tanks in the past but that was 20 years ago and never a tank this big. I was hoping you guys could point me toward some good resources or your own advice on what I need and what I need to do. I'm sure things have changed since I had a marine tank. My sister gave me a 55 gallon tank and I'm thinking about using it to make a refugium sump unless you can suggest something better. What about powerheads/wavemakers. What lights would I need for less demanding (i.e noob) corals? As far as live rock, unless I find a real deal, I'm thinking about using dry rock for a base with live rock mixed in and letting it spread. I'm not in a hurry at all, especially in the planning stage... just doing my research and building a supply list. I appreciate any input you guys can provide. Thanks! :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Not a lot of salty activity on this site unfortunately so I'll chime in just a little cause I have no SW experience myself, but have done a TON of research.

-That's a big tank but since you've already had a SW tank you know what that means, increased costs mostly lol. But also be sure where you put the tank has more than adequate structural support.

- The 55 as a sump/fuge is still a common technique. May I suggest looking into algae turf scubbers too. They become pretty popular. Gonna get the main tank drilled? If you can I HIGHLY recommend it. Gonna use a protein skimmer?

- As far as PH/wavemakers you'll want to look around, lots of products with lots of opinions and depends on your budget of course. I hear good thing about Jebao wavemakers for the price though.

- Light is another HUGE topic (of debate). There are SO many options now. Even after extensive research I just don't know. lol

- Seeding dry rock with live rock is also very common and somewhat safer cause live rocks can come with all kinds of nasties in addition to the beneficial stuff. My LFS has good prices on dry rock but I also found Marco Rocks to come highly recommended.

ancientcityrrt

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
Port Richey, FL
  1. It'll be on a concrete slab. No problem there.
  2. Hadn't planned on drilling the tank. I'll probably go with a HOB overflow, but that's not written in stone.
  3. Are wavemakers a necessity with a FOWLR tank or are they mostly for corals?
  4. Again, if I'm not keeping corals, I might just go with either LEDs or a T5 fixture. I'll be perusing Craigslist. I don't mind used equipment if it's in good shape. Anything to save a few bucks.lol
  5. Safer and cheaper, too. Again, I'll be perusing Craigslist.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Everything I've read says drill drill drill when you have the chance. HOB overflows have a higher failure rate than I'd be comfortable with personally, especially with a tank that big would worry me even more.

PH/wavemakers are not a necessity on a FOWLR but still highly recommended. The additional flow keeps the debris suspended which facilitates it's removal via the overflow and keeps the rocks and sand clean. Plus the fish just simply like the water movement.

Good luck! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store