Goldfish with lump under chin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraS26

AC Members
Jun 20, 2016
1. 90l

2. a. Ammonia 0
b. Nitrite 0
c. Nitrate 0
d. pH 7.6 KH 180 and GH 250

3. Temperature not sure, room temp

4. FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up
Set up four days ago, he had to go in immediately, because he was given to us in a 10l 'first aquarium' tank

6. Goldfish, on his own, had him a week, about 2.5"

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Both
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Hollow rainbow castle, little hollow tunnel rocks

9. a. Filtration stingray 15 and one that came with him in the 10l tank, don't know the make.
b. Heater? Unheated

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Just put in an LED bubble wand today, nothing before that
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Not direct sunlight, he's positioned against the wall between two windows

11. a. Water change schedule? Will be once per week, first change day before yesterday.
b. Volume of water changed? Rough estimate 15%
c. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? None yet, plan to vacuum 1/3 of the gravel once per week when I do the water change.

12. Foods? Flakes
How often are they fed? Three times/day

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
Lump under his chin. He tends to sort of 'hover' in the filter current without moving for a while, but haven't had him long enough to know if it's just his personality.
b. Appearance of poop?seems fine
c. Appearance of gills? Seems fine

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
No

Sorry this isn't a great photo, took it on my iPad with only the tank light. I'll try to get a better one tomorrow if necessary. It's hard to catch him holding still in the day though. He has had this bump since we got him, but nobody except me seems concerned!

image.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nice looking comet goldfish! Problem is, that's much too small a tank for a comet, being only ~23.7gallons. Cut your feeding WAY back. Only once per day and lightly. I feed my fish 5days/week, including my goldfish.

You'll need to do several large water changes per week. Right down to fin level IMO.

LauraS26

AC Members
Jun 20, 2016
Nice looking comet goldfish! Problem is, that's much too small a tank for a comet, being only ~23.7gallons. Cut your feeding WAY back. Only once per day and lightly. I feed my fish 5days/week, including my goldfish.

You'll need to do several large water changes per week. Right down to fin level IMO.
Thanks! Yeah,we were told that we should have about 30 gallons, but we wanted to get him out of that 10l straight away, and that was the biggest second hand we could find in our area at such short notice.

He's very active and darts up for food as soon as you drop it in, are you sure feeding once per day will be enough?

Down to the level of his fins in the picture? That'll expose the top of his plants, do you think half the tank, three times per week would do? With hoovering 1/3 of the gravel each time?

Will this clear up his bump?

Thanks for the advice! Xx

LauraS26

AC Members
Jun 20, 2016
30 gallons for two that is, since we wanted a friend for him. They DID say 20 gallons would be enough for one (we didn't end up getting the second one).

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Considering goldfish can reach 12inches+ in length and have a high ammonia output you'll need something much greater than the tank you have. You'll need a 55 gallon (~210 L) if you want to keep him happy. This could be ok for a second fish as well.

Exposing the tops of the plants won't hurt them. You won't really know exactly how much you need to change until you start reading ammonia on your water. But from experience with goldfish, you really will need to do multiple LARGE water changes a week. Are you using a liquid kit or a dipstick?

As far as food goes, fish are programmed to eat whatever is available and take advantage of a constant food source. In the wild they don't necessarily know when their next meal is, so they will readily eat anything. Even though he's "acting hungry" he's likely just taking advantage of the situation. Feeding once a day is fine, just watch to make sure his belly doesn't get concave.

About the bump on his face, its hard to see from the pics. Is it discolored at all? Is it growing? Are there scales missing?

LauraS26

AC Members
Jun 20, 2016
Considering goldfish can reach 12inches+ in length and have a high ammonia output you'll need something much greater than the tank you have. You'll need a 55 gallon (~210 L) if you want to keep him happy. This could be ok for a second fish as well.

Exposing the tops of the plants won't hurt them. You won't really know exactly how much you need to change until you start reading ammonia on your water. But from experience with goldfish, you really will need to do multiple LARGE water changes a week. Are you using a liquid kit or a dipstick?

We were told he would grow up to 8 inches at pets at home??? In a few months our garden will be finished and we'll have a pond he can go into. I'll do a big change tonight then, and another in two days, but our ammonia is at 0. We used API and King British 5/6 in one dip test sticks.

The lump isn't discoloured and scales look fine. I don't think it's growing, but I'd need to watch it longer to be certain.

As far as food goes, fish are programmed to eat whatever is available and take advantage of a constant food source. In the wild they don't necessarily know when their next meal is, so they will readily eat anything. Even though he's "acting hungry" he's likely just taking advantage of the situation. Feeding once a day is fine, just watch to make sure his belly doesn't get concave.

About the bump on his face, its hard to see from the pics. Is it discolored at all? Is it growing? Are there scales missing?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

LauraS26

AC Members
Jun 20, 2016
Sorry, that came out a bit weird, not used to the format of the forum.

We were told he would grow up to 8 inches at pets at home??? In a few months our garden will be finished and we'll have a pond he can go into. I'll do a big change tonight then, and another in two days, but our ammonia is at 0. We used API and King British 5/6 in one dip test sticks.

The lump isn't discoloured and scales look fine. I don't think it's growing, but I'd need to watch it longer to be certain

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
My grandmother had long finned comets in ponds, and they get HUGE. She had some that were around a foot long.

It's hard to see the "lump" in the photos, and to me the fish looks fine.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
30 gallons for two that is, since we wanted a friend for him. They DID say 20 gallons would be enough for one (we didn't end up getting the second one).
That is kind of a general rule of thumb (20g for one), but this applies to fancy goldfish (don't get as big), not commons or comets. 20g for one, with 10 additional gallons for each additional fancy goldfish.

I've got a comet with 3 fancy goldfish in a 55g. The comet is over 2yrs old and about 5" long.

Goldfish are happier and act more natural with other goldfish around. I know my comet was super shy and skittish by itself.

LauraS26

AC Members
Jun 20, 2016
We have a plastic pond thingy in the garden that we're planning to have installed within the next few months, so the idea is they'll go in there when they get bigger. I have no intention of keeping fish in a tank they barely have room to turn in.

They told us the 20 gallon thing, AS WE WERE ASKING FOR ANOTHER COMET! They had to have known this if they were actual fish keepers, right?

Do you think we would be okay to get another one as long as we don't keep them in the tank too long? Two 2"-2.5" goldfish in 100l for three or four months? (Just got the 100l today. Only 10l bigger, but it was free to good home, with delivery to the house, so might as well, right?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store