Ghost/Glass shrimp tried to eat live platy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

isabel1201

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2015
This morning one of the shrimp was chasing a platy so i scared him off, the platy was very active and swimming away from him. After i came out of the shower i noticed that the same platy was being eaten, she looked dead but when i scared the shrimp off she swam away very lethargically. My mom took the shrimp out of the tank but now the platy has open wounds on her lips one of her gills, anal fin and tail missing. How should i care for her so maybe she can survive? btw she has gotten better sincr this mornin ( her eyes seem focused and the currents are not pushing her arround)

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Sounds like you had a macrobrachium shrimp. They sometimes get mixed up with ghost shrimp.

If no other issues have arisen, clean water can help healing. Keep and eye on her though and treat if you see anything besides normal healing. What you treat for would depend on what it ends up being, but if she escapes getting anything no need to put her through the medication stress.

isabel1201

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2015
Sounds like you had a macrobrachium shrimp. They sometimes mixed up with ghost shrimp
I just looked them up, they were macrobrachium shrimp but they were very young. Only one of them had started getting the little black stripes on his back. Thank you very much for replying! I'm going to put her in a QT.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I had that happen a few months ago. One of my shrimp had grown so large that I moved him into my 75g tank. Next morning two of my nickel sized angelfish were dead. Turned out to be a macrobrachium. I don't know if there is any way to tell when they are young. I took that shrimp back to the lfs. I don't think I will be buying anymore shrimp.

isabel1201

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2015
I had that happen a few months ago. One of my shrimp had grown so large that I moved him into my 75g tank. Next morning two of my nickel sized angelfish were dead. Turned out to be a macrobrachium. I don't know if there is any way to tell when they are young. I took that shrimp back to the lfs. I don't think I will be buying anymore shrimp.
It was pretty shocking to see it happening, I can't look at the shrimp without feeling icky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store