Fry care?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hustle US

AC Members
Jul 18, 2016
I had to holding mothers and I have stripped 40 or so fry, done research on how to care for the fry but wondering if anyone would chime in on tips or tricks to raising healthy fry. My tank setup for them is a ten gallon tank with a sponge filter, ten gallon air pump. The heater is set to around 75 I have no substrate. The water it the tank was pulled from mother tank and so was the sponge filter as to jump start the bio.

IMG_20160721_150819.jpg

IMG_20160720_221849.jpg

Hustle US

AC Members
Jul 18, 2016
The one pictured (not sure what she is) is one of the mothers the other is a red zebra I received them and they were holding already so I'm not to sure what they are apart from the mothers.

IMG_20160721_193230.jpg

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You've got some hardy species there. I would suggest that the best thing for survival and development is to have plenty of cover, keep your nitrates low (lots of little water changes at this stage), offer a variety of foods and make sure you have a plan for moving them when they become aggressive with each other. Additionally, you will have plenty of fry to come with Afros and it might be a good idea to find a store that may take them or a friend, or you will become quickly overstocked. The fry may just be hybrid mutts, which will be harder to find homes for in the long run.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Nice looking fry, but from what I think they are probably hybrids. Cichlids from Africa cross breed al the time, so most store bought ones are mixed. I think most cichlid keepers either keep one species of African Cichlid, or keep all male tanks.
Growing fish fry's is all the same--Lots of good food, and lots of WC, and I think most African Cichlids are vegetarians.

Reactions: Hustle US

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
A lot of mbuna are actually omnivores, as well as herbivores :) The zebras I know for sure are omnivores, and will benefit from some zooplankton (daphnia, artermia, etc) in their diet especially while growing.

Reactions: Hustle US

tommy d

AC Members
Sep 6, 2016
North Carolina
Camera Used
Panasonic
I've always fed fry with newly hatched brine shrimp. I would buy the brine shrimp eggs and hatch them in a small tank. An extremely fine net is used to catch them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store