Floating anubias

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Does anyone just let their anubias float around the tank until they decide to attach to something? Will that work?

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
It should work just fine from what I've heard. I'm pretty sure that is how my LFS keeps it for selling. Personally, I use the roots or unwaxed dental floss to tie it to something until it anchors because I like that look better.

Brian

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Only if they get stuck somewhere for some time would they self attach. And that might not be the best spot for them either visually or for their benefit. They are slow growing enough that it takes some time to attach. They aren't hurt by floating around but might end up looking weird depending on how the changes in orientation are.

They will attach to the gravel if they don't have something more substantial to grab on to. They can be sort of planted in gravel, but they have to have the thickened rhizome that all the leaves grow out of up above the soil line. It would be insurance against rot if there was 1/2 to 1 inch space under the rhizome if you planted it in gravel.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishorama

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Depending on your lighting it can also damage the leaves to be that close to the light source. They like low light, so being farther away from the source is better for them

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've floated anubias in a QT long term, but they will eventually attach to anything they can: filter intake, prefilter, other plants, wood, rocks, each other, etc. If they are in current, they may grow into a ball shape, not terrible, but a bit challenging when it's time to permanently "plant" them. But you can trim roots a bit &/or rhizome.

This is mostly for A. nana, nana petite; the larger leaved ones (barterii etc) really don't work as well free floating. If the roots of these (or nana) are long enough, you can park a smallish rock on the roots to hold them in place on the substrate & keep the "ball effect" from occurring...much harder to deal with on larger plants unless your tank is pretty big. & like Snake Ice said, do not bury the rhizome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store