Fish-safe waterproofer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Hi all,
Not sure if this should be in this thread or in ponds...
I want to waterproof an indoor figurine (made of resin), so I can put it in my pond. It will not be submerged but will sit in the splash from the fountain. Any suggestions for a fish-safe product? I can find all kinds of marine grade things, but nothing that addresses marine LIFE...
Thanks,
Jennie Beth

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Thanks for the reply :)
I followed your link, but everything looked pretty thick, as far as spreadability- this is a bit of foo-foo, so has lots of carved details. But, I somehow ended up finding this tidbit along the way...image.jpg image.jpg

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
why do you need to waterproof a resin casting? it should be completely waterproof as it is.

if it is totally submerged, it should not have a problem with UV exposure; UV can't get thru a couple millimeters of water. if it is partially out of the water, and the resin isn't rated for outdoors exposure, you might want to find a UV resistant clear coat, or it will eventually chalk away after staying out in the sun for a long time

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
why do you need to waterproof a resin casting? it should be completely waterproof as it is.

if it is totally submerged, it should not have a problem with UV exposure; UV can't get thru a couple millimeters of water. if it is partially out of the water, and the resin isn't rated for outdoors exposure, you might want to find a UV resistant clear coat, or it will eventually chalk away after staying out in the sun for a long time
You are absolutely right! There I go overthinking things again...I did spray it w an outdoor clear coat, will have to check the can label for UV...
It's just a little mermaid figure, but I hate to destroy it because I was careless...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store