Enlighten Me!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Hi everybody, I am sort of mid-range in terms of experience in fish keeping, and was wondering what information people might have to offer. Just about any sort of freshwater knowledge that could be useful for keeping fish, except for the nitrogen cycle or doing weekly water changes. (Know plenty about that I think) I just have one small setup right now, and I am not planning on getting anything new soon. In the mean time, I want to learn everything until I can practically run large tanks, and I'm not even sure what sort of information I'm looking for. Anything based on personal experience or including short anecdotes is especially great.

Thanks,
Brian

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
You know what, now that I think about it, anybody who wants can also post saltwater info. I don't expect to get a saltwater tank likely ever, and certainly not soon, but I still want to know everything.

Thanks,
Brian

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You might read My Aquarist Rant in the General Freshwater section. Info, anecdote, etc.

Mark

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Hi Brian.
As long as you understand the nitrogen cycle and keep your water changes going each week, you have really got the basics. There are always problems with algae and fish diseases, but if you quarantine new fish and keep your feeding light , then you should not have many problems. If you run into some problems , there are always folks here to help out.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You should subscribe to a good Tropical Fish magazine and learn from there.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I still buy Tropical fish Hobbiest, and sometimes Aquarium Fish International. I subscribe to a few Cichlid Magazines too (Cichlid News, ect).

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
You said something about large tanks. In almost every aspect other than $$$ large tanks are easier. Minor imbalances are easy to correct the bigger you get. Its easy to run multiples of equipment on a large tank for a variety of reasons. Multiple heaters in different areas of the tank, as opposed to a hot side and cold side for example. So a 250w heater doesn't turn on in your 500g tank? the other ones will work extra until you figure it out and replace it. Or it sticks on. Probably not enough for your tank to become fish soup.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
You said something about large tanks. In almost every aspect other than $$$ large tanks are easier. Minor imbalances are easy to correct the bigger you get. Its easy to run multiples of equipment on a large tank for a variety of reasons. Multiple heaters in different areas of the tank, as opposed to a hot side and cold side for example. So a 250w heater doesn't turn on in your 500g tank? the other ones will work extra until you figure it out and replace it. Or it sticks on. Probably not enough for your tank to become fish soup.
True, $$$ really was what I was referring to, as well as space.
Brian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store