EBJD with oscar?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I would say no your tank is not large enough and the EBJD won't enjoy the oscar's company.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
What are the dimensions of your 65G tank I iLIKEamericanCICHLIDS ?

I've never kept blood parrot cichlid before so can't advise.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I vote no based on your tank's dimensions, nothing less than 4ft & that's kinda iffy. I think Freshy Fresh has an O with another big cichlid in a 4ft 75g or 90. He'll be along soon I bet.

Joel, I'm calling you out!

I'm not a fan of blood parrots...what can I say? Hybrids are not my thing, but to each their own...I'm trying not to be judge-y (no I am defininely am! Sorry, I can't help it sometimes)

Help Joel! You're much nicer than I am most times...you know you are...tell us what you got! You've had them for a long compatible time...

Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I agree with F fishorama and hopefully FreshyFresh FreshyFresh will offer his recommendation on whether any tank mates would be a good fit once your EBJD are mature.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I misread the OP having 2 Dempseys, I thought just 1. Now that changes everything!

Can you tell the genders of your Jacks? (we can help unless they're small). 2 males will fight & 2 females might. Not good. Is your 65g a 3ft "breeder" tank or 4ft?

A compatible M&F pair will need a 4ft tank with several "caves" so they can get away from each other. IF they breed you may need another tank, the smaller female can beat the snot out of a male when he gets tired of egg & fry care & eats them. They can breed every month. It's fun at first but then it gets old. You'll need a grow out tank for any fry you want to save from each batch. Raising fry can be rewarding but a lot of work too.

So no, you can't keep 2 Jacks in a 3 or 4ft tank with an oscar or anything else.

Sorry for the confusion. You need a plan for the fish you have.

Oct 23, 2022
I'm not sure if theyre male or femal. one of them in lighter in color and the other one is darker and more turquoise they are pretty small right now. I dont know if its a breeder or not

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Longer but shallow tanks the same volume as a shorter and taller tank are usually called breeder tanks. With a air of unknown sex EBJD's I'd recommend no other fish, in fact, if same sexed you will probably have issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store