DIY CO2 and Gas Times

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
I see people talking about times of releasing CO2 into the tank and then they mention having it shut off over night etc.

With the DIY method, is this something I need to worry about??? If so, How could I accomplish this???

Thanks,

-TF

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
you are not likely to create enough CO2 to cause problems for livestock. You can simply run an airstone when your lights are out if you like; trying to connect a solenoid valve is adding another point for potential failure so I would personally avoid.

but in my experience, DIY CO2 varies a lot over time and can lead to BBA and such as it fluctuates.

your mileage may vary, but my suggestion would be to go with pressurized if you intend to do it for the long hall, it is well worth the controllability and not having to fill up yeast sugar and water mixtures every week or so

Reactions: TetraFreak
Apr 2, 2002
New York
In late 2002 I got one of the best pieces of advice re CO2 sdditions in planted tanks. My plan was to start with DIY co2 and then more up to pressurized. The plant pros with whom I was fortunate to hang out with in fish chats steered me right. They said, if you can afford pressurized, then start with that. And I did.

The number one cause of BBA is now considered to be inconsistent (fluctuating) CO2 levels, especially in a planted tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store