Cutting an Opening in a Glass Top

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I picked up a little 2.5 gallon glass tank today on the cheap, thinking to use it as a desktop betta or shrimp tank. It came with a solid glass canopy ... the top is a solid glass piece that fits snug and has no openings for a filter or airlines (bad design, yes). The glass is 1/8 think, much like versa-top glass. Has anyone cut additional openings in their glass canopies without breaking them? What's the easiest and cheapest way to do this?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I personally have never done it but why not just let the glass hang over the tank a bit to make room for everything?

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
on such a little tank it might look goofy

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Not as goofy as having a planted 1.5 gallon tank,lol. But what's wrong with it being a little goofy? I love goofy things.:)

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Only thing you could do is drill a hole using a glass drill or trim one side shorter. You can't cut a notch out of glass unless you have a flow jet cutter.

And that's assuming that the glass is not tempered. If it's tempered you can't do anything.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I am not that smart when it comes to safety lol, but I once used my pocket knife to cut some glass from a fish tank. The fish tank was leaking and I could not find where it was leaking at so I just LITERALLY took it apart.(It was a 10 gallon) and I had to cut the glass to fit in the trash bag.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would go a get a plastic cover for it. Plastic is easier to cut.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Why not raise the top with some rubber dots like you find on coffee table tops on metal frames...any hardware store has them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store