Bristlenose Pleco Breeding Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Hello All,

I've been getting the urge lately to start keeping multiple varieties of ancistrus and apistogramma and breeding large groups of them.

I have longfin brown/albino, short fin super red and short fin green dragon (pair only).
I also have spawned apisto viejita, apisto cacatuoides double red, and keeping a trio of apisto pebas.
I'm looking for apisto borelli to breed also.

I am strongly considering getting into ancistrus claro (gold marble bristlenose).
I have a couple extra tanks open right now and think I might pull the trigger on these guys.
I found some at my LFS, but they are $45/each which makes a group expensive.
But they do have a few good looking males, so I might be able to get away for $90/pair.
Just need to wait a month or so to save up enough for them.

Anyways, once I get some fry going, I will be selling online in fall/spring if anyone is interested.

153.JPG

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Good news! I'm getting a pair of Apisto Borelli Opal this week!
My LFS got them in and is quarantining them for a week before I pick them up.

Oh and I have a young pair of Apisto Viejita looking like they will spawn soon!

And my oldest pair of longfin bristlenose plecos just laid a huge clutch of eggs, should have a good mix of brown and albino (mom is brown, dad is albino).
If anyone is interested in buying fry, please shoot me a PM and we can work out timing for shipment.

StarsFish

AC Members
Apr 1, 2016
Holland, MI
Steve-
Might be interested in purchasing some BN fry, depending on price w/shipping.

Not sure how to PM you here. When I clicked on "private message" got an error message. Maybe because I'm a new member here...

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Sorry for the lack of activity guys, been crazy busy at work and not having much time to do anything on the tanks.

Updates: I lost almost all of my super red fry when the tank crashed. (good news, breeding pair was not in there and still making babies).

Lost the apisto borelli due to ich.

Added 4 L-015 (candy cane pleco) to my 20 gallon tank.

Ancist. Claro were sold at the LFS. Might be able to get some in the fall.

Green dragons - I noticed they spawned a few times in my 60 high when I would find a few fry near the top of the tank. I am doubtful the first 2 batches survived.
I did pull a batch this week and moved them to a 10 gallon tank. So far so good.
They should be sellable around Sept/Oct if all goes well.
Here's a few pics.

green dragon male.JPG

green dragon fry.JPG

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Sorry for your apisto loss, I don't buy from LFS, I find that Tedsfishroom is one of the best sources.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Hi all,

Well I pulled the trigger and got a pair of Ancistrus Claro on Friday and hope to be breeding them soon.
With that said, I forgot to take pictures, so I will update when I can.

Also, the green dragon fry are growing nicely, should be at about 1.25" point within the next 45-60 days.
I have a few super reds I can ship now, if anyone is interested, PM me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store