Brackish Damselfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
I was doing some reading in prep for setting up a reef tank and came across some(very little actually) info regarding damselfish occurring in brackish water. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with them. It gave me an idea of what might be an interesting project for a 40B that is currently growing out some Cryptoheros nanoluteus. The three species mentioned were Pomacentrus taeniometopon, Stegastes otophorus, Neopomacentrus taeniurus. There might be others but those are the only ones I've found so far that are known to occur in brackish water in nature.

Any thoughts?

moby goby

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
New York
Real Name
Robert
I have no experience with brackish damsels, but almost every saltwater damsel is aggressive and often the colorful juvenile fish turns into a drab colored adult. There are other brackish fish that would be colorful and peaceful (such as knight gobies and orange chromides).

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Thanks for the reply(sorry I didn't notice it earlier, I went out of town and wasn't online much). The aggressiveness doesn't bother me. I see a damsel community as somewhat similar to a mbuna tank...........just different. So far I haven't been able to find any of the three species that I can confirm as brackish for sale anywhere so this may be a short lived idea :)

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Sergeant Majors (Abudefduf saxatilis) are known to live in brackish estuaries. Seen it myself in Florida. But most of the colorful damsels imported for the aquarium trade are reef fish and found in full saltwater their whole lives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store