Betta stays around the filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KMH039

Registered Member
May 29, 2016
Hello,

So I first bought my betta, Simon, from Walmart as an impulse buy. He lived for a few months at school with me in a half gallon tank (I know, I know, I feel awful about it.) But now he's home and has a nice new 2.5-gallon tank with a filter. However, he's been staying very close to the filter recently, not above it or stuck in its current, he can get out just fine, but just sort of around it. I let the water in the tank cycle for 24 hours before placing him in. Is he just wary of the sudden change in space or is something wrong with him? He has two live plants and a silk plant as well as a cave to hide in. I'm just worried about him. There is a light on the top of the tank, could that be the problem? I want to make sure I can give him the best life I can now that I know more about him and what he needs. I thought I had done right by him as he was building massive bubble nests in his old tank, but everything I read said they need much bigger. 2.5 was the best I could do. I'm worried I may have done something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
First of all, don't feel too bad. I think pretty much everyone on here has made similar or worse mistakes at some point. The good thing is you are now looking for information and learning about the fish you keep.

24 hours is pretty short for a cycle, depending on how you did it. A good article on cycling is found here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/. The light should not be any problem, although if it is on 24/7 that could stress him out. How long has he been in the new tank? If it has just been a day or two, it could be he is just adjusting to the change in environment. Also, I would suggest grabbing a good liquid test kit like the API Freshwater Master Kit and looking at your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. (more on those and why in the article I linked)

Brian

KMH039

Registered Member
May 29, 2016
First of all, don't feel too bad. I think pretty much everyone on here has made similar or worse mistakes at some point. The good thing is you are now looking for information and learning about the fish you keep.

24 hours is pretty short for a cycle, depending on how you did it. A good article on cycling is found here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/. The light should not be any problem, although if it is on 24/7 that could stress him out. How long has he been in the new tank? If it has just been a day or two, it could be he is just adjusting to the change in environment. Also, I would suggest grabbing a good liquid test kit like the API Freshwater Master Kit and looking at your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. (more on those and why in the article I linked)

Brian
He seems to be doing better this morning. He's a lot more active, and he ate his breakfast with the usual enthusiasm. He's also more flared out today than he was yesterday. He had only been in the new tank for about 4 hours. I'll keep an eye out for the testing kit when I head out to the store again. He lives in my bedroom so the light is only on during the day. He doesn't seem too bothered by it anymore. Thanks for your advice!

Aquaman9001

AC Members
Aug 18, 2016
Oregon
Real Name
Nick
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy SIII, Canon Rebel XTI
I guess this might be a dead thread, but I recently purchased a Betta myself who would do the same thing (just float in between the filter and the back glass wall) but he too eventually opened up to the tank. I think maybe the current was too strong for him and he found calm water behind the filter. Also always make sure the water has the right chemical balance and temperature. Don't add chemicals to your tank if you can help it. That's my advice here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store