Betta Chronic Fin Rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carrie.accounts

Registered Member
Aug 30, 2016
Hello,

I got my betta a couple months ago and I think he has chronic fin rot. He lives in a 8 gallon filtered tank (with no heater since it's pretty hot here). The thing is, I'm not sure if his fins are actually rotting because it seems to progress very slowly. The ends of his fins are translucent and I think they're getting more jagged but I can't be sure... There's also a tiny hole in his bottom fin that appeared about two days ago. I've attached a photo.

I usually do a 15% water change every two days (to suck out all the poop). He's eating really well and is pretty active.

Is there anything else I can do? I don't really want to medicate him if I don't have to.

20160830_151937.jpg

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Can you tell me your water parameters?
And if you have other tankmates?
The reason is I'm asking about the tankmates is because if so, he may be getting nipped and the translucent-ness is just is fins growing back. A good medicine, if you were wondering, is Methlyne blue.
Good luck!

-Aquaticfrog32

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
He's very pretty! I'm thinking some of the fin damage could be from your artificial plants... although I can't see any in the pics...well, maybe a tiny bit of whitish edges. Have you tested his water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Could he be rubbing/trailing his long fins a bit on them, they often like to rest on plants, real or fake...How often do you feed? It's tempting to feed every time they ask, but not healthiest for them.

Reactions: Rbishop
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store