Baby snail?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
20240501_105450.jpg20240501_105711.jpg20240501_105816.jpg

Alright y'all! Name that snail! No, seriously I think he hitchhiked with the Hornworts.... He's so tiny!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Of course it's name is Gary, lol. It looks like a pond or bladder snail, a general term for pest snails in that shape. Mine are darker brown...except when small. Watch out for jelly-like egg masses on anything; glass, substrate, decor, plants, filter tubes. They are almost clear & may be quite small. You can scrape them off w/a fingernail & vacuum them out but there will probably be more. You might want to remove (or squish) Gary or you may have a lot. It's time to be tough & observant. Feed very lightly, the more food, the more snails.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Of course it's name is Gary, lol. It looks like a pond or bladder snail, a general term for pest snails in that shape. Mine are darker brown...except when small. Watch out for jelly-like egg masses on anything; glass, substrate, decor, plants, filter tubes. They are almost clear & may be quite small. You can scrape them off w/a fingernail & vacuum them out but there will probably be more. You might want to remove (or squish) Gary or you may have a lot. It's time to be tough & observant. Feed very lightly, the more food, the more snails.
ewwwww! I will NOT squish Gary! lol I've removed all gravel and rocks, so it's just a bare bottom for now. Thanks for the heads up!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Still you need to watch for small egg masses. Like a flattish gob of tiny firm-ish slimy stuff. As small as say, a peppercorn up to a 1/4+ inch.

Get tough! or you will have a snail tank. I don't know how long a snail may "hold" fertile eggs before laying them. IME you only need 1 snail to have many.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Still you need to watch for small egg masses. Like a flattish gob of tiny firm-ish slimy stuff. As small as say, a peppercorn up to a 1/4+ inch.

Get tough! or you will have a snail tank. I don't know how long a snail may "hold" fertile eggs before laying them. IME you only need 1 snail to have many.
I'll keep a lookout for the egg masses but I am pretty sure that Gary left with the rocks. I'll look behind the one filter tomorrow for sure. Thanks again. You're an angel :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm no angel, lol. Just an experienced tank/fish keeper. Trying to keep you & others from my (& others) mistakes. Been there...

We all wish you good luck! Keep the pics coming, it's fun to see others' tanks & how they evolve.

Reactions: wiseiam
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store