Are there any gars that can go in a 55 gallon aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StripedRaphCat1234$

AC Members
Jul 24, 2023
Houston, Texas
Real Name
Samuel
Camera Used
IPhone 11 Pro Max
Hey everyone! I was wondering if any kind of gars can go in a 55 gallon aquarium? I've taken interest in the top dweller and have had trouble finding any gars that would even narrowly fit my tank size. Most are many feet long like Alligator Gars and Needle nose gars.

Also important note, right now I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of my stock, but there is one fish that is 100% certainly staying. My Striped Raphael Catfish.

If there isn't any gars that could go in my tank, could y'all steer me towards some other top dweller options? (I also need only top dwellers as I have a lot of action on the bottom but very little action other than my current angelfish).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A cool top dweller for a 55gal would be a bunch of hatchets. Obviously glass lids are a must for them. Even with them, you have to be diligent during WWC because they will fly out.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Narrowly fit..lol...maybe check out a taxidermist for a water proof replica....seriously, you already know the answer, none, but are looking for a hint of approval....

StripedRaphCat1234$

AC Members
Jul 24, 2023
Houston, Texas
Real Name
Samuel
Camera Used
IPhone 11 Pro Max
I didn't know that you could go to the taxidermist for replicas...especially water proof ones lol. I've decided against gars for my current tank, I will just look into the future and hope that maybe later in my life I can own many large aquariums suitable for gars and other awesome large fish. Thank ya'''ll for your help! :D

Reactions: Rbishop
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store