Am I doing this right so far? I'm a newbie!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MissJillyBean

Registered Member
Oct 21, 2016
I'm working on my first vivarium, and I was hoping to get a little input! Basics, I am using a 55 long tank, I have a canister pump/filter, fogger, I have light banks but I haven't decided on the right bulbs yet. I'm currently working on the false bottom setup. The goal is about half wet/half dry. I'm going for a pacific Northwest, ferns and fog theme... So far I've got the dry hardscaping just about finished, I have the false bottom in, but before I go much farther I wanna make sure I'm not making any huge mistakes! The hardscaping is a large cork round that I cut in half, I used GS foam and carved it out, then painted with outdoor water safe acrylic paint. I used 100% silicone to seal around the cork rounds and left them hollow to run any necessary tubing or cords, I built in several net pots with drain tubed hidden under the foam for plants. I also have 2 net pots built-in to the false bottom that slide out for access should I have to mess with the substrate. I think that's everything so far, I'll post pictures so you can let me know if I made any big mistakes. 20161019_195608.jpg 20161019_195608.jpg 20161021_010600.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got nothing to add other than it sounds like start of a great setup! What are your plans in terms of plants? What type of lighting? Is the tank going on a typical 55g stand?

MissJillyBean

Registered Member
Oct 21, 2016
With the Pacific Northwest theme, for plants I'm leaning towards lots of fern and moss with some type of broadleaf ground cover. Nothing tropical like orchids, and I'm really not sure about the lighting yet! I have 2 hoods for 18" bulbs but with the theme I'm looking at heat is gonna be my enemy. I'm not sure which bulbs produce the least heat!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
With the Pacific Northwest theme, for plants I'm leaning towards lots of fern and moss with some type of broadleaf ground cover. Nothing tropical like orchids, and I'm really not sure about the lighting yet! I have 2 hoods for 18" bulbs but with the theme I'm looking at heat is gonna be my enemy. I'm not sure which bulbs produce the least heat!
You will probably see the least heat generated from LED lighting, and a large number of the fixtures are dimmable too, just in case you end up with too much light (better than not enough!)

Reactions: MissJillyBean

MissJillyBean

Registered Member
Oct 21, 2016
You will probably see the least heat generated from LED lighting, and a large number of the fixtures are dimmable too, just in case you end up with too much light (better than not enough!)
I have to admit, my hoods are on the cheap side, just standard with an on and off switch. I might upgrade them but with the ferns and moss and ivy I've been looking at, none of it except for the ivy seems to want bright full sun light. The plan is to make it as authentic to the region as I can, and the area has a very dense canopy. Unfortunately that canopy is mostly pine so I can't do much in that family! I'm looking at a frog or lizard inhabitant the far off future, but not until long after I have a good ecosystem going steady and stable. I was hoping to actually do a rainforest tank, but for my first try I think the ferns and stuff are a little bit better for a beginner!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have to admit, my hoods are on the cheap side, just standard with an on and off switch. I might upgrade them but with the ferns and moss and ivy I've been looking at, none of it except for the ivy seems to want bright full sun light. The plan is to make it as authentic to the region as I can, and the area has a very dense canopy. Unfortunately that canopy is mostly pine so I can't do much in that family! I'm looking at a frog or lizard inhabitant the far off future, but not until long after I have a good ecosystem going steady and stable. I was hoping to actually do a rainforest tank, but for my first try I think the ferns and stuff are a little bit better for a beginner!
The cheapest way to go is always to work with what you have; and then see how it goes.

I wouldn't expect anything to go downhill too quickly, but take pictures peridically, be sure to keep camera settings the same (especially white balance) so you can compare how things are progressing with something that isn't relying on your memory.

with a standard fluorescent fixture; you are not likely to see much difference in growth or heat production, irrespective of what you choose.. and I would not expect a pair of lights to be excessive... again, see how it goes when using them :). The big difference will be in colour rendering/CRI, and how the plants look to you. that really should be the most difference you need to take into account, (Unless you decide on black light, or actinic or something)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store