All shrimps dead in home made biosphere

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Elwood107

Registered Member
Aug 28, 2015
I recently made a biosphere with both Java moss and Java fern with aquarium gravel (which I thoroughly cleaned before putting into the tank) at the bottom and I have filled it with fresh spring water. The water temperature is at 70 degress Fahrenheit. However, within two hours of introducing red cherry shrimp to the tank they all died and I am at a loss as to why. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The water was probably too soft. Spring water is not ideal for aquariums as it is too soft and lacks necessary minerals. Java moss also does better in water with a moderate mineral content.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Why did you not use tap water?

Elwood107

Registered Member
Aug 28, 2015
Due to the fact that the tap water is extremely poor quality where I live and it is also infected at the moment

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Ok, so there's no chance of cleaners being on the gravel then.

Even if the water was too soft, it shouldn't have killed the fish in that short of time. Spring water varies, based on the source of the spring, so there's no way to say for sure that it was too soft or too hard even for that matter. What is possible, is that the bottle could have been chlorinated as some companies will do this. There could have also been an ammonia spike somehow.

I'd recommend using a water conditioner even if you're using bottle water, just to make sure there is no chlorine or heavy metals. Test the tank for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and double check that your thermometer is working properly and the tank didn't over heat without the thermometer reading the spike.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Shrimp react very poorly to sudden changes in water hardness. Going from hard water to very soft water will kill them pretty quickly. Fortunately, one of yours managed to adapt.

What makes your tap water poor quality and is "infecting" it specifically? What may be undesirable for humans to drink may not be bad for fish and aquariums at all.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store