50W heater in 3 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi,
Newbie here with a question about heaters...I have a Fluval Spec III (2.5 gallon) tank and a 15W heater that is supposed to keep a constant 78 degree temp. But, Moby2's tank water temp varies from 72 to 82. I have ordered a Fluval E, 50W heater. Is this an overkill? I am thinking of upgrading Moby2's home to 5 gallon or maybe 10 gallon in the future, so wanted something that will support future tank size growth.

Comments, please?

Thank you!

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
50 watts is probably overkill, but it shouldn't be any problem since that particular model, like most, auto regulates when it is on or off based on the water temperature. If you get a larger tank, that should be plenty of heating.

To address the fluctuation though, on what time scale are you seeing this variation? Is it day-to-day, or hour-to-hour? Does the room temperature vary? Is the tank opposite a window that might be sun warming it? What type of thermometer are you using to get that reading? Some variance in temperature is normal, although 10 degrees sounds like a wide range. Depending on the answers to the previous questions, it might not be a big deal but if you are going to upgrade the tank, it probably doesn't matter anyway since you are getting a new heater.

Brian

Reactions: Moby2BettaBuddy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
50 watts is probably overkill, but it shouldn't be any problem since that particular model, like most, auto regulates when it is on or off based on the water temperature. If you get a larger tank, that should be plenty of heating.

To address the fluctuation though, on what time scale are you seeing this variation? Is it day-to-day, or hour-to-hour? Does the room temperature vary? Is the tank opposite a window that might be sun warming it? What type of thermometer are you using to get that reading? Some variance in temperature is normal, although 10 degrees sounds like a wide range. Depending on the answers to the previous questions, it might not be a big deal but if you are going to upgrade the tank, it probably doesn't matter anyway since you are getting a new heater.

Brian
Hi Brian,
Thanks again for your prompt reply. The temperature rises to 82 during the day and lowers overnight. The tank is not in direct sunlight but the room temp does drop at night vs daytime. We like to sleep with the house cool.

Based on your comments it seems like the little heater cant keep up with the room temp drop overnight. Do a beefier heater may be able to keep up???

Thanks again,
Randy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi Brian,
Thanks again for your prompt reply. The temperature rises to 82 during the day and lowers overnight. The tank is not in direct sunlight but the room temp does drop at night vs daytime. We like to sleep with the house cool.

Based on your comments it seems like the little heater cant keep up with the room temp drop overnight. Do a beefier heater may be able to keep up???

Thanks again,
Randy
Also the led lights are on during the day and off at night so maybe my lights are pushing the temp up during the day. They dont feel hot to the touch but???

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
LED lights don't do anything in terms of heat; that's one of the reasons a lot of people like them. It sounds like it might be at least partly from the change in room temperature. Regardless, a bigger heater will probably help. If the fish doesn't seem bothered by it though, you probably don't need to worry anyway.

Brian

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Temperature depends on your stock. 82 is high for a lot of freshwater, but perfectly suitable for an additionally wide range of freshwater friends. 82 is high, in my opinion, for a betta. 77-78 is perfect, 74-75 too low, 80+ too high.

Reactions: Moby2BettaBuddy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Thank you Brian Feeder of Fish and Manchester United (they rock!) I am a bit paranoid about water temp. I have 2 analog, one digital and an exterior stick on thermos. Interesting that none of them report the same temp: 76, 74, 72, 75. Anyway, my new 50W Fluval E heater should be here on soon to give me confidence in a more temperature-stable home for Moby2.
Thanks again!
Randy

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Years ago I had a stick on thermometer, and I'm pretty sure it didn't accurately reflect the tank temp, but instead reflected the temp of the room the tank was in. I'm currently using the kind that stick to the inside of the tank with suction cups. I also have a digital thermometer on my 180g, and it reads the same as the suction cut one.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Kannon Fodder,
Thank you. I have digi termo also and it is pretty close to the two stick on termos in the tank. The one of the outside of glass is really doesn't work.

Quick question...I just got a min-catfish and 3 cherry shrimp that I have in my Q tank. My Q tank does not have any filtration or heater. It is the .5 gallon cube that Petco sold me when I got my Betta. Do you know if it is safe for me to leave my new additions in a non-filtered, non heated (very small) tank overnight? I am tempted to add them to my 2.5 gallon Betta tank tonight with only a few hours of quarantine.

What do you think?
Thank you,
Randy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store