3D Background

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
Ok guys, I have a small issue, I put a 3D background in my tank when I set it up, looks good, but I have noticed that some of the new fry can fit between the glass and background (sides) they can not get around to the back. I am now thinking holy crap should i have glued that gap? I have some shrimp that are currently in there and one has managed to get up into the air pipe channel. this has become a bit of a night mare.

Should I have glued the edges to prevent this from happening? is there a product I can use in a fully stocked tank to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks

Dan

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Yes you should have sealed all the edges of the background to prevent fish/shrimp from getting trapped behind it before you filled the tank with water.

What you might be able to do is use thin strips of aquarium safe filter foam to fill the gaps between the glass and background. Cut the filter foam thicker than the gap so it will wedge the space snugly.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
SeaChem makes a glue for use with plants that is usable under water, but I am not sure what your 3d background is made of or if that adhesive would work. I assume that this 3d must be inside the tank since your shrimp are getting behind it. I would love to see a picture of it. I have not seen a 3d background in a tank before.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
drain it and use silicone

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Draining may not necessarily cause a loss of cycle. Transfer décor/plants fish to another tank with the filters. Put substrate in bucket and keep it covered with water and add an air stone. Re-do the back ground, let dry for two days...set things back up.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Probably okay but depending on the mix the fish may not be compatible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store