250 Gallon Tank Complete Restoration, Possible Etched Glass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IIIEXOCETIII

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2016
Hey guys,

New to the forums here. And I have a very particular problem that I think a lot of us have suffered from. Now i'll start out by saying I have browsed numerous forums and sites trying to get the best possible answer for what I'm experiencing, but long story short. Over the weekend I had the opportunity to pick up a 250 Gallon Tank from a guy for $80.00. He stated that one of the back panels had broken and had been removed and that when "He" bought them the guy had two that were broken. So he robbed the pane of glass. No worries I thought, break it down, clean, reseal, redo frame. No problem! This is where it gets more interesting.

Upon inspection doing my second or third initial cleaning and removing gunk, silicone seams, etc. I notice around the bottom half of the tank right before the area where the bulkheads start, a buildup lets call it. Possibly calcium, or limestone etc. So I went fourth and tried the old vinegar technique using vinegar to break it down. No luck. Then I proceeded to try the old Bar Keepers Friend technique, by essentially putting it on damp, doing some slight scrubbing and it should remove it. Then just rinse it off. Well that didn't work either! Now let me say I can certainly feel something on the glass. When i rub the rag over the area around the tank, its rougher than just the clean glass. What are my options now? Is Cerium Oxide my only choice now? To essentially "rebuff" the glass? The tank was stored outside when I arrived. However, in OK condition seemingly. I have included a couple pictures. Maybe someone could shed a little light on this before I start re-buffing the entire tank. Little hard to pass up a 250, so I hope its repairable.

Thanks for all the help in advance.20160926_184234.jpg 20160926_184255.jpg 20160926_184300.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
My best suggestion is to break the tank down completely into individual panes and rebuild it, even if it means purchasing a new top and bottom frame.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Looks like the "stuff" I had on the inside of my 29g. Mine looked like a film was on the surface of water and as the water drained it stuck to the glass (and sat there for years) but the marks were down at the bottom like yours and only on one side of the front panel! It had a sorta rough texture, like my finger got stuck on it when I rubbed them over it. Rough isn't the right word though.....not smooth. lol I also tried vinegar with no change. Decided to leave it there cause once it was filled it was barely noticeable. I think it has become even less noticeable over the months of being setup too. I think it is just some sort of hard water residue, I've had it on other tanks too. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store