150 gallon planted aquarium planning stages

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ramora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2022
150 gallon sc aquarium
Trigger systems 36 ruby sump
E flux DC 1050gph return pump
500 watt jbj titanium heater
T5 retro fit kit
4 giesemann planted aquarium t5 ho 80 watt bulbs
DIY stand and canopy critiques welcome

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Did you post a pic?

Ramora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2022
Not yet waiting on tax season to buy the tank than bits and pieces as I go this is going to be a long build

Reactions: dudley

Ramora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2022
Gotta have house built first setting up small 15 gallon fluval flex I'm the mean time

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I would offer two suggestions for your consideration. Well it is really one suggestions applied in two ways. I dislike having single filters or heaters on most tanks unless they are smaller. So I would suggest you might want to consider using two heaters of say 300w each. This has multiple benefits if the heaters are in the tank or the sump.

In the tank they help with circulation and by having two spread out, you get more even heat. But an even bigger benefit is if one fails, the tank will not be completely without a heater. It may cool down some but it wont likely get so cold as to harm/kill the fish.

Next, I normally have multiple filters on all tanks save those running on air power. I have central pumps for that. But, when possible, I try to have a hang on filter as well. This helps oxygenated the water and provides some backup if the pump fails. I also like to do the reverse and have an air powered foam in the tank even when a canister or power filter is the main unit for the tank. During a power outage of blink, a power filter may not restart whereas an air pump almost always will.

With a sump system things are different. Almost everything filtration related and even heaters may be in the sump. This also needs to have adequately oxygenated water for the bacteria. Most times folks use sumps as a way to keep equipment out of the main display tank. While there are many benefits to a sump, redundancy is not one of them. So you may want to consider having some aeration in the tank which would help for a while if the sump quit for any reason.

What is a Single Point of Failure?

A single point of failure (SPOF) is essentially a flaw in the design, configuration, or implementation of a system, circuit, or component that poses a potential risk because it could lead to a situation in which just one malfunction or fault causes the whole system to stop working.
It is impossible to protect against everything, but there is a certain amount of redundancy that makes sense to have. We all have to decide where we want to have two or more instead of one. For me it means a lot of multiple heaters and filters and a back-up generator. However, if that generator happens to fail when there is a power outage, I am toast.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
In this day and age, it's probably more cost effective to light with LEDs rather than T5s.

You don't say the dimensions of the aquarium either, or the types of plants you intend to keep, it's all kind of relevant if the emphasis will be on the plants, rather than just having them in there and the focus more being on the fish.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Personally I would want to use more light than that over a lightly planted 75s

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You mention a T5 retrofit kit. Does that mean it's being retrofitted for LED? Like D dougall suggested, I would not buy new, or necessarily start new with fluorescent T5 lighting unless it's something you had on hand. If starting off with all new equipment, go with LED.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store