Shipping fish/ clown loaches...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
How do I ship 2 clown loaches?

I know there are breathable bags, but the name escapes me at the moment.

But other than that I know nothing about shipping fish.

The reason I ask is that if my LFS won't offer credit in trade, I would rather see a member with the correct setup get them.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Kordon Breather bags

shipping fish in a nut shell , fast the fish for a couple days, keep fish number low in the bags, use insulation..many folks use insulation from home improvment stores and cut the sheets to fit . add plenty of padding in the carton to minimize movement of the bags, heat packs when shipping to cold areas(best to make sure there is some padding to protect the fish from direct contact with heat pack.)

I know some places willuse a bit of cut sponge from a filter to keep bio-activity going to reduce toxins fro building up

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Loaches are usually double bagged because their suborbital spines can cause punctures. I don't think Kordon bags can be doubled, it may interfere with gas exchange. 1 loach per bag would be best, certainly don't mix them with other species in the same bag. Mid winter doesn't seem like the safest time to ship fish even with heat packs. Your lfs may have insulated boxes for free, ask them.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Ok let me be clear, I don't want to ship them this very instant. I am asking for the best/ safest way to have them transported for when I do offer them up.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I bought a pamphlet of shipping instructions that I bought 5 or 6 years ago on AquaBid, about 15 pages. It is very thorough. I have seen it offered off and on in the shipping supply section. I use it as a guide whenever I ship. Shipping in the winter is not an issue as long as you have the proper supplies. Good luck.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store