rainbow shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishpoor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
thumb Michigan
Visit site
Can anyone tell me about rainbow shrimp. My LFS got some in but didn't know anything about them. They were tiny and I didn't get any because Bill said he was afraid they didn't get much bigger. The only freshwater shrimp usually available around here is the ghost shrimp and I would like to have some colorful ones, but not as expensive lunch.

Chiron

Chiron
Jan 29, 2005
Michigan
Check out Petshrimp.com. I didn't see a rainbow shrimp listed but maybe it goes by another common name. Does your LFS list a latin name with them?

Biotoper

AC Members
Dec 18, 2004
The Krib gives Rainbow shrimp as a possible synonym of the Wood/Singapore shrimp. This is a relatively large shrimp (3"+), quite distinctive looking, that filter feeds, and thus is likely not what you saw.

Arizona Gardens sells Malaysian rainbow shrimp:
http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php
Do those look like what you saw?

fishpoor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
thumb Michigan
Visit site
Thanks. Am I correct in assuming that shrimp in general are not a particularly good canidate for a community tank? I've got turquoise rainbows, pakanstani rainbows, rasbora espei,panda cories, and assorted loaches.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
not sure if it might be the same but I picked up a "chameleon shrimp" from an LFS but no one could identify the thing on any forums I found. It seems freshwater shrimp really aren't too indepth on the internet other than the few species that are listed the krib as RTR has linked. Mine were about 2" long and mostly clear with a dusting of brown, grey or blue depending on their mood. I narrowed it down to a macrobrachium (spelling?) which is closer to the crawfish end and are predatory to smaller fish. I had planned to breed them but gave up when I was prettymuch told it was impossible for most any in that family due to needs of the larvae. I dumped them in my 36 gallon tank along with tons of barbs, danio's etc which could hold their own to a shrimp and figured my banjo cat would likely finish them off. After a month or so I stumbled across the sole survivor which appeared from under a rock when I was feeding. He's grown to about 3" and is mostly blue/black/grey colored and evidently has been able to avoid the banjo or defends himself from the banjo. Either way, he's interesting but I can see how a fry or smaller fish would become lunch. His pinchers aren't as big as a crawfish but they're close, nothing like a ghost shrimp. with your stocking list, I would expect the loaches to finish off the shrimp depending on the sizes but you never know. you might just have to experiment and keep an eye on things, you might get lucky :) Kyle

aidenofthetower

Registered Member
May 25, 2010
The Rainbow Shrimp

I just recently started reading about various types of shrimp. Here is what I found that might help you out.

The rainbow shrimp is really the Maylasian Rainbow Shrimp or caridina sp. Rainbow. It also goes by the name Maylasian Shrimp and Spear shrimp. He will always be a small shrimp getting to be about 1 inch when fully grown. This makes him of similar size to the ghost shrimp (which grow to 1 or 1 1/2 inches).

Shrimps can do very well in a community tank with two exceptions that should be noted. First they need a few small hiding places because fish that wouldn't normally eat them will when they molt. A lot of different people/sites recommend a small flower pot upside down with drainage holes (that will not be at the top) that are big enough for your shrimp to get into.

The second thing that I ran across that you in particular are likely to want to know is that loaches will eat them. Other than that that you only need to consider the size of the shrimp and the size of the fish. On the other hand, shrimp are fry eaters so if you are trying to raise fry they will work against you.

Good luck!
Danelle
Aidenofthetower

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store