Caridina spinata "yellow cheek" Sulawesi shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I imported about 100 of these about 8 months ago. I sold off 60 and kept the rest to try and establish a breeding colony. In the meantime, its gotten nearly impossible to import them at all.

They are a very small shrimp; about 3/4". They also have very specific care requirements that are a bit different than most other dwarf shrimp. They like quite warm water, about 82-84. They require a high pH (8.0 or over) but prefer a lower gh/kh (ideally 5-7). Where they originate there is few plants but ample rocks so a planted tank is not at all necessary though I find it impossible to not plant a shrimp tank. They are not at all particular about light and can be quite shy so only extremely peaceful tankmates. I keep mine with amano shrimp and nerite snails.

For my set-up, I used black flourite and lightly planted the tank. I also added some texas holy rock to increase my pH and a fair amount of malaysian wood in order to reduce some of the hardness. For the first 4 months I used 1/2 ro water to 1/2 tap water to achieve the following tank parameters:
pH 8.0
gh 6
kh 8
temp 84

I do weekly 10-20% water changes. I feed the tank 1-2x per week a diet of crushed kens veggie sticks or a well balanced flake, about 1/2 pellet per 10 shrimp.

I am excited to say, despite the notoriety of these shrimp being very difficult to keep alive and breed, that I have not lost a single shrimp and my population has increased slowly to about 70 or so shrimp. I currently have 6 berried females.

A couple pics of these interesting and beautiful shrimp. You may notice that their color ranges from a very light red/orange to an almost burgundy/black with the characteristic yellow flecking. For reference, these shrimp sell for between $14-20 a piece.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Nice pics.

It's those strange parameters that have always kept me away from all the Sulawesi inverts.

CheeseCake

AC Members
Dec 19, 2009
I want! but... I can't :( I have to stick with cherries and lower grade crystals. Once I get more experience with them! I might go for these!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
they aren't for sale right now. I am waiting until the tank (29g) gets close to "stocked" before I offer them for sale. Sorryto disappoint but they are very difficult to get now. Gotta keep a few things for me!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Little beauties there Rach! Love em!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store