Does prime expire?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
I was just wondering if prime expires or goes bad?? My bottle has a horrible smell to it in the last couple of days?
Should it be kept in the fridge? I cant find any instructions on the bottle?

barbarossa4122

AC Members
Nov 21, 2009
New York City
I was just wondering if prime expires or goes bad?? My bottle has a horrible smell to it in the last couple of days?
Should it be kept in the fridge? I cant find any instructions on the bottle?
I am not sure but the shelve life is 2 yrs. I think the smell is normal. Lol, no time for mine to expire, I use a 500ml bottle every 4 months.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My chemist husband says it will eventually grow sulpher-loving bacteria but it'll take a LONG time. I buy it by the gallon now but may try the powdered form, Seachem Safe. I have 8 tanks ATM & juvenile discus that get almost daily WCs.

Sodium thiosulphate, the other type of common dechlor, gets a nasty smell if it's gone bad but I've had it lasts years without problem.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I just checked Seachem's website and Seachem says that a sulfur odor is normal.

For those of you who don't know, sulfur smells kind of like flatulence. So if that is what you are smelling it is nothing to be concerned about.

I don't know for sure if prime needs to be refrigerated but I would think that if it did it it would say so in the instructions or on the bottle. I just looked on my bottle and it does not mention a need for refrigeration so I do not think it needs to be refrigerated.

EDIT: I have never refrigerated my prime and my fish are still alive after a month or so of using prime.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah, mine has a rancid egg smell (sulphur) just like the bottle said was normal. It's awful, but I'm pretty sure that it's fine. If it needed to be refridgerated, I'm sure it wouls say so, but if you don't use it often, it might be worthwhile.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Pretty sure its normal. Mine didnt start to stink until the bottle tipped over and some spilled. Weird huh?

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
I agree with everyone,It does smell like rotten eggs...lol
I wont worry about it being refrigerated.
But it does take a while to use up..I only have 3 tanks.
And a few drops does the job.

You all answered my questions ...thanx!
this site is the best!!!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
"For those of you who don't know, sulfur smells kind of like flatulence. So if that is what you are smelling it is nothing to be concerned about."

Guess I have to stop blaming my b/f now......... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store