Male or Female angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
Does anyone know how to tell the difference in male and female angelfish?
I have a koi and a marble that buddy up and will push away the other 2 angels when they come near. Was wondering if they were male and female and how can you tell?

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
from what i understand, you can't tell whether an angel is male or female unless they are breeding. Then you have to check out their "private parts" (sorry, don't know the actual name of it). Apparently, you can tell a difference then.

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
Their private parts are actually called breeding tubes. And yes, some people say you can find out other ways, but these are sometimes wrong and should not be fully trusted. Wait and see if their spawning behavior continues, and keep on the look-out for their breeding tubes.
Here's an example:

This is a female as you can tell by the large breeding tube, the male's breeding tube is often defined as looking like the point of a pencil.

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
ok this maybe a stupid question but where are you refering to the"breeding tube"? Not sure where I am supposed to be looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store