Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-05-2013 9:48 PM

algae eaters to keep with my cichlids?

I have a 55 gal setup as of now i have a yellow lab, blue peacock, golden peacock, and a eureka peacock. I was wondering what would a good algae eater would be to add in my tank. I would consider otto's but im affraid they could become a snack for my cichlids. SAE's ive considered but have read they dart about alot and could disturb the other fish, or maybe a bristlenose pleco but im not sure about them either. thanks in advance for any advice.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    02-05-2009 4:49 PM
    Bristlenose plecos are fantastic in cichlid tanks, as long as they're bigger than a mouthful and you have lots of hiding places. I've never seen any other pleco work so hard at keeping a tank algae-free! I'm a big fan.

Chinese Algae Eaters are also an option. They're a bit belligerent, just like cichlids, so you usually find them in the same place in your LFS. There's the normal mottled green/brown color, and then a golden variation too. Again, make sure they're not too small and that you have some hiding places while they grow up.

SAEs tend to prefer hair algae, so I wouldn't recommend them. Ottos are too small and fragile for a tank like this and would not appreciate the cichlids' hard, slightly salty water.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    from what I hear, have seen and read, the most likely to succeed would be a bristlenose plec or two, if you are looking for an algae eater.

that said, I personally clean only the front panel of my aquarium (its not viewable from the side) and the fish tend to nibble away on the algae which forms on the back and sides, as they would in the sides, so an algae eating fish is not a necessary addition. Equally I would let it grow all over your rockwork etc. Again, looks more natural and the fish like grazing on it.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-24-2008 7:45 PM
    i know this is an old thread but i figured id post up....

i have a rubber lip in my cichlid tank and he does perfectly fine.... the fish dont bother him and he doesnt bother them..... and hes cool as hell to look at
    aww man boosted

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-18-2009 4:12 PM
    Over and over I have seen bristlenose plecos in cichlid tanks. As long as they are big enough it should not be a problem.

Marinemom

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-04-2013 10:32 AM
    I've used bristlenose pleco b/c of their nature & armor & was always told that they were the best to have w/ cichlids.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    01-15-2009 3:39 PM
    I have a 110 gallon with peacocks, haps, couple mbuna, couple tangs, couple juliis including a breeding pair of Transcriptus. I have 4 plecos. An L236, L200 (Green Phantom), Panaque Maccus (tiger pleco) and a bristlenose. Everyone of them is doing well....

I put a Gold Nugget in there. He got shredded. Expensive lesson....

Thread Information