Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    03-05-2009 5:58 AM

Why does my daughter's goldfish lay on the bottom of the bowl

My daughter's goldfish plays dead all the time. It lays on the bottom upside down. It will move around if you wave at it or something but mostly just lays there. Do you think it's dying?

Can I have a cookie...pweeeze? Mr. U's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 5:16 PM
    Hi Sunshines,
    What is the size of tank that you keep the goldfish in?
    What are the water parameters (nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph, temp)?
    How long have you had this fish in that tank?
    (btw, ppl will be asking you these questions )

I don't believe your goldie is dying. I have a goldie that does that exact same thing. At feeding time, or when i walk past the tank, he will be active. But when sleep time happens, I will find him on the bottom upsided down, but breathing normally *shrug*. All I can guess at this time is that my goldie's odd behavior is related to a bout of dropsy it experienced. Whenever he got quarantined, he behaved normally....and when he was returned to his 55 gallon, he started the odd behavior again. My goldie is a fancy, and I know that they are susceptible to dropsy (which can be a symptom of the water quality). I only have 4 goldfish in the 55, but they are large enough now, that they will all be moved into a 90 this weekend with HOB and canister filtration. I'm hoping this will fix his odd behavior. Hope to hear back from you so we here at AC can help you out
    Cheers,
    -U
    [countrychick] 11:34 pm: put one foot in the stirup and pull up.......
    [Reefscape] 11:34 pm: thats not what the prison warden said
    [countrychick] 11:30 am: its nice thougth cause he seems less sweaty when I ride him
    [lindsey crashed] 2:23 am: i got some good ones, but they aren't pubicly appropriate.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Josh
    Welcome to AC!
    20 gallon long planted
    My carnivorous plants

Quote Originally Posted by Rbishop View Post
    I like the movie Goonies...pretty sure it was a historical documentary....

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-06-2009 11:40 PM
    because it is in a bowl... it needs a bigger tank imo

sorry to be so negative, but welcome, I only say that because how big my pet feeder fish has gotten in my pond lol.
    20 gallon cherry shrimp farm
    55 gallon
    !!!135- getting setup soon!!!!

PROUD TO BE TEXAN

The Dancing Banana wataugachicken's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-15-2012 6:13 PM
    Blog Entries
    welcome to AC!

for the best life for the fish, you should really look into getting a real fishtank, instead of just a bowl. it is a big myth that goldfish can live in a bowl, or that they will only grow as big as their "home". pet stores, carnivals, and even tv continue to perpetrate this myth (ever watched west wing?)

truthfully, goldfish need at the very least a 20g tank for one fish. 30g would be better. in a proper home they can live upwards of 12-15 years, while in a bowl they *might* live for 3 or 4, if it's a big bowl. instead of growing, they die. i don't think you should feel bad about the goldfish - we have all made that kind of mistake based on false information we were given, whether it is this kind of situation or a betta fish in a vase, etc., but you should either try and get a bigger tank for it, or find a home for it with people who have a correctly sized tank. a fancy (round-bodied) goldie can reach 6-8 inches long, and the common (long) goldfish like the kind found in carnivals, classroom experiments, and used as feeder fish can reach 12-14 inches. i've personally seen a couple of fancy goldfish as fat around as a 1-liter soda bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sushi_
    Petstores label common things all wooky, like they picked up a thesaurus, blindfolded the manager, and handed him/her a pin, and opened it up to random pages and VIOLA!! A "scientifical naming device!!"

Spooky Devil Puncher? Sounds great!! How about $21.99?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Julie
    Last Activity
    06-08-2014 12:31 AM
    Welcome to the AC!
    Another question for you is... what kind of temperature is the water at? Goldfish are best equipped for water between 64-74 degrees. Different temperatures higher than that wont hurt it, but the warmer the water, the less oxygen in the water for your fish. So if its in a bowl and at possibly warmer temperatures, it might be kind of listless because it doesnt have enough oxygen. Just a thought for you. We're all here to help

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-15-2010 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jtburf
    because it is in a bowl... it needs a bigger tank imo

sorry to be so negative, but welcome, I only say that because how big my pet feeder fish has gotten in my pond lol. Yesterday 09:04 PM
    i agree. all goldfish bowls need to be smashed. there should be a movement, like the ol bra-burning days. everyone can at least get a 20 gallon. poor fish. good luck though

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-06-2010 10:07 PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wataugachicken View Post
    welcome to AC!

for the best life for the fish, you should really look into getting a real fishtank, instead of just a bowl. it is a big myth that goldfish can live in a bowl, or that they will only grow as big as their "home". pet stores, carnivals, and even tv continue to perpetrate this myth (ever watched west wing?)

truthfully, goldfish need at the very least a 20g tank for one fish. 30g would be better. in a proper home they can live upwards of 12-15 years, while in a bowl they *might* live for 3 or 4, if it's a big bowl. instead of growing, they die. i don't think you should feel bad about the goldfish - we have all made that kind of mistake based on false information we were given, whether it is this kind of situation or a betta fish in a vase, etc., but you should either try and get a bigger tank for it, or find a home for it with people who have a correctly sized tank. a fancy (round-bodied) goldie can reach 6-8 inches long, and the common (long) goldfish like the kind found in carnivals, classroom experiments, and used as feeder fish can reach 12-14 inches. i've personally seen a couple of fancy goldfish as fat around as a 1-liter soda bottle.
    this is very true.... goldfish are large, messy fishes that produce a ton of waste. they are almost like aquatic cows.... in a bowl, even with frequent water changes, there is no way to properly keep one without it slowly being poisoned to death by its own waste, weither that death takes 4 days or 4 years. id do a water change and see if that helps, and work on getting a larger, filtered tank FAST if you want that thing to live. IMO no fish, no matter how cheap, deserves to die the death a goldfish in a bowl does.
    5g SE asian pictope:
    Male Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
    Female Apple Snail (invasive species )
    Tiger Nerite Snail
    Planted with Java Fern, Hornwort and Java Moss.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-03-2008 9:40 PM
    ^ I agree, ive never came across a goldfish that has lasted in a bowl for long.

It's Cory Lover's cat! ILOVEBETTAS's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    01-25-2010 4:53 PM
    Blog Entries
    Yup, a common goldie needs 75g or more, and a fancy needs 29+.

Just imagine, goldfish can get much bigger than this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Eat your biscuits!"
    "Are you gonna REAP me?"
    "You're the grim reaper, right?"
    "I'm the caterpillar's father."
    "Cheese makes one's butt large."

Yes, weird quotes. Deal with it.

Thread Information