Question: About My Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lela

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2016
My female betta fish is full of eggs at the moment. She's gained a lot of weight & her little white egg tube is sticking out. I do not plan on breeding her & I was wondering if I should do anything about this? She seems very uncomfortable... Swimming a bit sideways & a little slower. Should I do anything or just let her be?

~Lela~

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
She should absorb the eggs, but may not. Some females will end up egg bound, if you have the experience you can handstrip them, but if you don't I wouldn't recommend it as you can cause more damage. I would cut back on her food a little bit and try something high in fiber and lower in protein. So, brine shrimp, peas or maybe Daphnia. The lower protein level may help her not divert so much energy to egg production which could encourage her to absorb the eggs.

Lela

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2016
She should absorb the eggs, but may not. Some females will end up egg bound, if you have the experience you can handstrip them, but if you don't I wouldn't recommend it as you can cause more damage. I would cut back on her food a little bit and try something high in fiber and lower in protein. So, brine shrimp, peas or maybe Daphnia. The lower protein level may help her not divert so much energy to egg production which could encourage her to absorb the eggs.
Thank you so much! I have some brine shrimp & will start feeding her those. Hopefully she will just absorb them, but I will keep a close watch on her the next couple of days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store