New 20 Gallon Tank: Suggestions for Filter Selection

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Looks good, just needs a background IMO. I like solid black backgrounds myself. BTW if you plant heavily to start with (and maybe even steal some gravel or filter media from your established tank for good measure) you can add fish right away. It called a silent cycle, just don't add too many fish at once.

Just to clarify, plant heavy as in pack the tank with fast growing plants. Even if they aren't plants you will keep long term.

Reactions: Moby2BettaBuddy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Looks good, just needs a background IMO. I like solid black backgrounds myself. BTW if you plant heavily to start with (and maybe even steal some gravel or filter media from your established tank for good measure) you can add fish right away. It called a silent cycle, just don't add too many fish at once.

Just to clarify, plant heavy as in pack the tank with fast growing plants. Even if they aren't plants you will keep long term.
Thank you! Very helpful.
Randy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
IMG_3474.JPG Hi again,
Well, I have fallen to the notorious MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome!) Have enjoyed my 3 gallon for my Betta for several months now and have my second (20 gallon) tank set up. Photo attached.

Another fish friend suggesting adding a couple of inexpensive gold fish to the 20 gallon the finish off the cycling (NH3/4=0, NO2=1, NO3=5, 72 degrees) My plan was to return them to my LFS after the tank finished cycling, but the wife really likes them. Hmmm.

I have a small HOB and canister filter (100GPH), heater and bubble aeration going. Now thinking we might keep the goldies.

Questions:
1. I've read that the cheap goldfish will grow up to a foot long. So 2 x 12 inches=24 inches, so my 20 gallon seems a bit small for them when they grow to maturity even with two types of filtration going. Agreed?

2. If we do keep them, are there any other fish we can add safely with them? I've read that they will eat anything they can fit into their mouths, and there are also issues with water temp compatibility with tropicals. However, I've read that a bristlenose Pleco (larger one) and possibly a small school (5) of White Cloud Minnows might be compatible? Again, concerned about bioload in the 20 gallon tank, temp compatibility and smaller fish becoming a snack for the goldfish. Thoughts?

Thanks. I really appreciate your thoughts and comments!
Randy/Folsom, CA

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
do not take this the wrong way, but the inch per gallon rule is pretty bogus; for an example a 12" goldfish will have far greater needs than 12 1" neon tetras.

someone with more knowledge than I will make suitable tank suggestions, I am sure... but a 20g tank will not be big enough for long.. also note differing water conditions if you should insist on adding more fish.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Thank you. I think I will take my wife to the LFS and see she can find some tropicals that she likes and return the goldfish.
Randy/Folsom, CA

Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store