Black Moor looks like it's shedding its slim coat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
So I don't know what's wrong with my black moor, if anything. I don't know if it's shedding its slime coat or what's going on, but my black moor looks like it has these white/clear splotches all over its body. Some days it looks worse than others. Some days he looks fine. I recently just changed from a gravel substrate to a sand substrate. Could that have anything to do with it? Like tiny sand particles are latching onto his slim coat? (no it doesn't look like ich, more of a milky looking substance.) He's eating fine and is acting normal. Sometimes better than normal. Also, yesterday I just noticed a small red mark on his belly next to his fin. I checked it again today and it didn't look any worse, but not any better either. Could the two be related, or could the red mark just be an injury?

Here are my water parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 or under
Ph: around 7.8-8.0
I have two airstones plus my filter provides great aeration.
I also add a little bit of aquarium salt. I used to add more than I do now, doing exactly the amount of what the directions would say for freshwater, but I've cut back on it a little bit (for no particular reason).

Tank size is 75 gallon with two Marineland Penguin 350 filters, which combined is 700 GPH. Tank is fully cycled (had it about 7-8 months now). I have 3 Fancies, 3 Dojo Loaches, and a common pleco in the tank. Yes, I know it's a little overstocked, but I haven't had any bio problems when it comes to my water parameters. And I know common plecos can get pretty big. My pleco is starting to get a little bit too big so I'll probably have to find a new home for it soon, someone who has a bigger tank or pond for it. My pleco also hasn't shown any aggression towards any of the fancies or dojo's and I've had them together in the same tank for about a year and half to two years now.

Anyways, I just wanted some input on what any of you might think it could be and if I should worry about it? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Side note: I'll try to get a picture of it later if I can.

Last edited:

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Seeing the two together, the red mark and the slime coat issue, worries me. Its hard to say without pictures what it is. Normally I would suspect ammonia or nitrites but your water looks good. . . I'm honestly not sure.

*waiting for pics*

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Yeah, that's why I started to worry as well. I'll try to get pics as soon as I get home today. The red mark isn't too obvious. The only reason I noticed it was because I was looking so closely at the other issue. It kind of blends in with his coloring and the mark is pretty small. Might be hard to get a clear pic of the red mark.

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
UPDATE:

Sorry I haven't been able to post a pic yet. Haven't been able to get a good clear pic. But, there is good news and bad news.

Good news is I moved him to a quarantine tank and that milky looking substance isn't there anymore. It must of been from the sand in my main tank or something? and the red mark is pretty much almost gone. I think he must of just got injured or something. I'll keep checking though incase anymore pops up.

Kind of bad news is I think he might have ich. None of my other fish in my main tank are showing any symptoms and don't have any white spots, but my black more has a couple spots on his fin. Although, I can't tell if it's ich or just small grains of sand that's stuck in his slim coat? My sand is very white so it shows up easily on his black color. He's still eating totally fine and doesn't show any other symptoms. I've experienced ich before so I know how to spot it (pun) and treat it, just can't tell if it's what my moor has.

I'm going to keep a close eye on him for the next couple days to see if anything changes.

Any and all opinions or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If he does have ich that would explain the irritation resulting in excess slime. I think its unlikely that the sand would irritate him to that point. It could have been another fish in the tank picking on him when you weren't looking or a decoration he was rubbing on.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If he does have ich that would explain the irritation resulting in excess slime. I think its unlikely that the sand would irritate him to that point. It could have been another fish in the tank picking on him when you weren't looking or a decoration he was rubbing on.
It may have been either. I do not think the sand irritated her, but the "Sand Change" may have stirred up some problems.
It also may have been the pleco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store