Variety foods for my Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyKeeper32

AC Members
Aug 5, 2016
Um........isn't just feeding random mosquito larvae to fish kind of risky and not recommended? Could that make my fish sick? Thanks for veggie suggestions, BTW.
No, mosquito larvae shouldn't carry anything dangerous. What I'd be most concerned about would be mosquito borne illnesses for humans if the insects matured.

Gk

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks for suggesting, but as for live foods, I think I'll just go with the wingless fruit flies. I HATE mosquitoes. Does anyone here have, like, a recipe or veggie wafers that's a bit more explanatory?
Thanks!

Aquaman9001

AC Members
Aug 18, 2016
Oregon
Real Name
Nick
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy SIII, Canon Rebel XTI
What I feed my Betta splendens:
  • Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets - Made with Fresh Alaskan Salmon & Halibut. Has natural color enhancement from Salmon skins. Does not cloud water. Used as main diet.
  • Omega One Veggie Mini Pellets (Slow Sinking) - Made with fresh Kelp, Spirulina, Salmon, Halibut, Cod, and Shrimp. Has lots of Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids for strong Immune systems. Never clouds water. Used as secondary diet for my betta. (Main diet for my Rasboras with a mix of Tropical Flakes.)
  • Frozen Brine Shrimp & Skinned Peas - Fed 1-2 per week as a supplementary diet.

My Betta splendens enjoy all the food that I feed him. You could also feed them small pieces of carrots and cucumber. I
'
What not to do
Keeping your fish well-fed and happy may seem easy, but there are actually quite a few (beginner) mistakes to avoid! These are a few of them.

• Don’t follow the ‘feed as much as your fish can eat in five minutes’ rule. Bettas (and other fish) will always accept food even when they’re not hungry, so this is a one way ticket to an obese fish.
  • Don’t reward jumping behavior with food. It’s very interesting to see a betta jump for food, but it’s quite dangerous as the fish could accidentally jump out of the aquarium or hurt itself.
  • Don’t use holiday/weekend fish food blocks when you go away for a while; these can pollute the water. As long as your betta is well-fed, a few days without food are harmless.
  • Don’t leave uneaten food in your aquarium; remove it immediately. Rotting food can cause bad water quality and is very dangerous to your betta.
  • Don’t feed too much freeze dried food. It’s fine as a snack, but known to cause constipation and other problems when fed regularly.
  • Don’t thaw and re-freeze frozen food. This promotes explosive bacteria growth! Any leftover thawed food should be disposed of.'
- Quoted Mari from Aquariadise.

Reactions: GuppyKeeper32

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks! I'll see if anywhere near me carries some of your suggestions:)

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
No, mosquito larvae shouldn't carry anything dangerous. What I'd be most concerned about would be mosquito borne illnesses for humans if the insects matured.

Gk
Even if you hatch mosquitos indoors they have to bite someone with a disease to get a disease to pass on the disease. Maybe if you are sharing your home with someone who has malaria you should be concerned. Otherwise they are just another bug. I get random stuff from the lake all the time. Amphipods/copepods for freshwater make great treats or greenwater which is good for fry often comes with daphnia. Planaria worms freak people with freshwater tanks out most often probably but they are nearly always a temporary visitor and what isn't eaten starves back out again. Although, my adults find things like daphnia too small and won't even eat brine shrimp. I use frozen mysis shrimp. The only problem I've had with wild collection is nymphs. Damselfly and dragonfly larval forms will attack small fish and can get to be quite big. Definitely remove any random water bugs that do not look like they will remain small and be eaten.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Huh! So you can really just get some small looking larvae & waterbugs from lakes and let your fish eat them? Cool! Maybe I should try that sometime......

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Huh! So you can really just get some small looking larvae & waterbugs from lakes and let your fish eat them? Cool! Maybe I should try that sometime......
yup... you can culture them yourself too, there are plenty of instructions or discussion sites for it.

Just watch out for collecting things like dragonfly nymphs, they will predate on fry.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
OK, I googled a picture and know what they look like so I can avoid them. Any "pond bug" fish favourites?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
mosquito larvae are always a good thing, at least till they hatch anyways.

all forms of daphnia are good too.

generally, fish will eat what they can fit in their mouth in the wild, so small shrimp, worms, most anything that swims in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store