Angelfish with Pearl Gourami?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Casey0421

AC Members
Apr 15, 2016
Hello, I have a 20gl tank with currently 1 BN pleco, 4 nerite snails and 1 juvenile- medium sized, very timid angelfish. He has been in there alone for about 2 months now and I would like to get him another tank mate. I was looking into a pearl gourami since they are said to be one of the more passive type of gourami. Is this true? And do you all think that they could get along? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Pearl Gouramis are more peaceful then most Gouramis, and will get along fine with angels, just not in a 20gal. Too small.

Reactions: wesleydnunder

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You might be able to do a single pearl gourami in a 20g long as your main or center piece fish, but a 20g, be it a high or long is not enough for an angel fish that eventually grow saucer sized.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
In all honesty, since you've asked about a few different fish, there's no largish fish you can add with that angel. Additionally, that tank is too small for that angel. Not trying to be mean, just letting you know that you'll not get the answer you want from the people here about adding another fish to that tank. Sorry.

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I personally think a 20g is a decent minimum size tank for an angel, given most angels on market are farm raised hybrids that will typically reach 4-5in, granted there are exceptions.Unless you are speaking of a wild caught species of angel, that is. I personally have spawned pairs in 20g tanks as well. Just my opinion. I would agree adding a gourami would overstock your tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too have bred many Angels in a 20gal before, but it was not till I grew older and got a bigger tank for them that I realize how much bigger and beautiful they can get.

macynagy

Registered Member
Oct 14, 2019
I think you should be good I have two angelfish,one pearl gourami ,one dwarf gourami ,two mollies, ,and two bleeding hearts in a 20 gallon tank,and their doing perfect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store