Newbie question about size of goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tony4x4

Registered Member
Jun 4, 2016
Hi there,

We started of with a 100 gallon kiddies pool that we have just extended with a further 300 gallon lined pond. My question is, is the max size of the goldfish to do with the volume of water or the size of the containing pond? So right now I have about 8 small (1.5") in the 100 gallon and 6 in the 300 gallon (2 x 4" and 4 x 1.5") and the 100 gallon flows into the 300 gallon. My assumption is that the fish in the 300 gallon pond will grow bigger.

Thanks

Tony

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The maximum size of a fish is not dependent on the size of the environment it lives in. This is a myth that is perpetuated by people who keep fish in small dirty containers and the fish dies before it reaches an adult size. Additionally small and improperly maintained tanks will have levels of ammonia and nitrate that result in stunted fish. If both of your ponds are properly maintained fish will reach maximum sizes in both

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Common or comet goldfish can indeed get huge, but there's a lot of factors that will determine how fast this will happen.

Below is a pic of my 55g goldie tank. The orange comet I've had for just over 2yrs. You can see it's approximate size. The dull yellow fancy to the lower left (used to be a vibrant orange "tiger" fancy) is just under two years old and the chunky red headed and grey oranda style I've had for less than a year. Tank presently gets weekly 75% WCs and they are fed pellet food. Tank stays room temp which can range from ~67-high 70s depending on ambient temps.

itsethan

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
I thought the same that bigger tank would increase size of my goldfish. Instead find the optimum size of tank and provide right environment and clean it properly and timely. Goldfish will reach its biggest size and live longer too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store