50W heater in 3 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
The .5 is too small for the cory, and I wouldn't keep one in the 2.5 either. They prefer more of their own kind, and a 2.5 is too small for a school of cory cats. Not sure about cherry shrimp, as I have not kept them. My concern with them and a betta is their red coloring, small size, and a betta's predatory nature.

Reactions: Moby2BettaBuddy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
The .5 is too small for the cory, and I wouldn't keep one in the 2.5 either. They prefer more of their own kind, and a 2.5 is too small for a school of cory cats. Not sure about cherry shrimp, as I have not kept them. My concern with them and a betta is their red coloring, small size, and a betta's predatory nature.
Thank you. The Cory cat is going back. Suggestions for a more compatible bottom feeder for my 2.5 gallon tank and Betta???

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I tried ghost shrimp, which were in the tank before the betta. However, after adding the betta, the shrimp all died. I've had good luck with snails, but I avoid nerites because of their habit of laying eggs everywhere. (The eggs require brackish water to hatch.)

The thing with a 2.5g tank is that the betta is about all the fish a tank that size can comfortably accommodate. More fish will lead to water quality issues, which will lead to health issues.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi Kannan Fodder,
Thanks for the tip. I tried adding a cherry shrimp to my tank and my Betta seems OK with it. I now have 3. The CoryDora went back to the LFS. I am checking water quality daily (I got the API Master's Test Kit) and everything seems to be holding. Still no progress on cycling the tank. Water specs:
NH3/4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PH: 6.6

Thanks for the tip.
Randy

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
In my experience its down to the individual betta in whether or not RCS will become a snack for them. Baby shrimp will most certainly be eaten, but typically a few will survive. This is actually good as RCS reproduce like rabbits.

I actually really like nerite snails and never had a problem with their eggs, but my fish could have been eating them before I noticed they were there.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
In my experience its down to the individual betta in whether or not RCS will become a snack for them. Baby shrimp will most certainly be eaten, but typically a few will survive. This is actually good as RCS reproduce like rabbits.

I actually really like nerite snails and never had a problem with their eggs, but my fish could have been eating them before I noticed they were there.
Thank you for your reply to my post. Moby2 seems to be leaving the RCS alone. However, for their babies, I suspect he will find them a tasty snack. My snails have not started laying eggs, yet, so maybe he is snacking on them, too.
Randy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store