Giant Bio Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I've watched several YouTube videos on how to make a canister filter using lava rock and a 5gal bucket. I am too cheap to buy the water pump and vacum seal lid, so I decided to make a giant bio filter, like a sponge, using 2lb plastic coffee can, lava rock, PVC and a bulkhead.

The coffee can is 9" tall. I drilled three rings of diameter holes close to the bottom for water intake. I then drilled 4 heightwise lines of holes in a 7" section of PVC. I cut a hole in the lid and installed a bulkhead with rubber washers on both sides. I put the drilled pipe into the bulkhead pointing down and ran airline through it. I then rinsed and filled the can with lava rock and forced the drilled pipe to the bottom of the can-Not an exact fit. I then snapped on the lid and put a 5" piece of PVC pipe in the top of the bulkhead pointing up. I sank it in a stock tank and turned on the air. So far it seems to be working fine and the water readings are demonstrating biological filtration as the numbers are coming into line. I did cheat and used Stability for 5 days.

Opinions please

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Air driven sponge filters are similar and often used in fish rooms because of their compatibility with fry. What you did is a little more complicated but will provide biofiltration but may be slightly less efficient as a mechanical filter than a sponge filter would be.

Reactions: fishorama

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I've been using several of these and they work better than to be expected. I also found a rubbermade cookie container approximately 7" tall with good diameter that can be used' Here are photos of the build. Steps: Cut hole in center lid-put bulkhead with rubber washer through top-screw in nut with rubber washer on bottom or inside can- drill PVC- drill 2 rows of holes around bottom of can- hold PVC in can - rinse and fill with lava rock-connect PVC to nut and push lid on. Run airline to bottom-DONEInside washer and nut.jpg Inside Lift Tube.jpg Ready to assemble.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store